Upgrade from 95 w/98 upgrade to windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

britbrat87

Hey guys!
My PC operates on Windows 95 with a 98 upgrade. I would ReALLY like to upgrade to Windows XP HomeEdition on the same PC...Is this possible? If not,what would be the best OS to upgrade to? I really need to know...Thanx for your help guys!

You can upgrade from 98 to XP. That is going to be a pretty ugly installation of Windows by that point. Generally you want to clean install your OS if at all possible, and the jump from 98 to XP changes the foundation for the OS (DOS vs NT) so I'd strongly recommend a clean install.

To do an upgrade just slap in the XP disk while running 98 and follow onscreen instructions.

To do a clean install you'll need to backup everything since it will all be lost. Then put in the XP disk and reboot, make sure your computer is set to look at the CD Drive because you will want it to boot from the cd. Then follow the onscreen instructions while keeping your 98 upgrade disk handy. At some point during the installation it is going to ask for proof you have an OS it is upgradable from - 98 is supported. Put your 98 disk in the drive click ok, it will then verify it is upgradable and then ask for the XP disk back.

I noticed u mentioned that I should keep my 98 disk nearby during the installation... I don't have the full Windows 98.. just the Win98 upgrade CD that I use on a PC that uses Windows 95 (files and programs) , so would I still be able to use the 98 upgrade Cd?

Thanx for your help SNGX1275!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back