Upgrade from a 8800GTS 320MB to a 640MB worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adidas0494

Hello, I was just curious if I should invest in the EVGA's step up program and spend the extra $100 or so dollars to upgrade to the 640MB card. I am not too knowledgeable about how much of a difference it would make in my gaming. I want to play all the new games comming out, currently all of them run just fine and above 30fps on max stettings ((other than a few spikes) Bioshock, TF2). But I know Crysis is going to be much more demanding. Any help and/or input is greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

My Specs are:
Intel Q6600 (Stock)
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB (Stock)
MSI P6N SLI Platinum (nForce 650i)
Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800 (PC6400)
OCZ GameXStream 600W
Samsung 400GB 7200RPM SATA

unless you're playing at resolutions like 1600x1200 then there wouldn't be a lot of difference :) the 320mb model can handle 1280x1024 (and a bit more) pretty well on high settings

Well, according to the big wigs who created crysis, they decided to make the game playable on a wide range of gfx cards. I think even my system can handle it on a reasonable level at DX9. Of course, the more memory the better as they say. I think the step up to a 640mb card will surely help you. Its gonna be hard to tell just how much itll help you of course as the game isnt out yet. Id wait and test it on your 320mb card first. Btw, howcome a 320mb card? why not the investment for the larger to begin with?

Because the 320 still gives you 8800 performance, which is well above the 8600. And its $100 cheaper than the 640. That is a ton of money (of course if you parents are the ones handing you the card then money doesn't matter, but not everyone has their parents buying them things). Also benchmarks indicate no significant advantage for the 640meg version over the 320 unless you step up to high resolutions like Daveskater said.

The 320 was perfect for those of us that didn't want to toss down $400+ on a card that will be worth less than $200 in 18-24 months. It represented a way to achieve incredible performance over anything else out there at the time (except the more expensive 8800 models of course) at just a low enough price to get.

I'd say if you bought a 640 instead of a 320 and you aren't running higher than 1680x1050 then you wasted money.

On paper, my machine says its playable, but to me the whole point of that game is to turn up the effects and resolution. im surely not buying it til i get a new system. the game experience def would not be the same. so if it can run great with a 320mb card, then stick with it :) especially for the dollar difference in the other card.

Thank you for your input and more thanks to SNGX1275...I have read a few of your other posts and you really seem to know what you are talking about. I think I will stick with my old card because I wont play in resolutions beyond 1280 x 960 (Limited my my monitor, its about 4 years old now) and then maybe in a year or 2 if I need to I'll upgrade then.

P.S. I cannot wait to see how Crysis will play because my 90 days will be over.

You'd be better of by waiting until the 8800GT releases (which is only a few days away) and upgrading to that instead. The 8800GT trumps the 8800GTS 640MB in performance and also offloads HD-decoding to the GPU, which is just icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back