Upgrade from a Althon XP 3200+

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCman

I've got a freind willing to buy my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and my AMD Athlon XP 3200+ for a pretty good deal, so I figured I will upgrade to A64. The thing is I will be keeping my Video Card, RAM, Harddrive, ect. So heres my questions, What would you guys recommend me getting? I want something that is comparable, if not better than the XP 3200+, but I don't want to spend alot of money. I was thinking of the Socket 754, because it is alot cheaper, plus I will most likely be buying a Laptop within a year for college replacing my desktop, but what do you think about the 754?

Heres what I'm thinking:

Is the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with Newcastle a decent CPU? Here at Newegg

I am an ASUS fan, so is this a good Motherboard to go with?
ASUS "K8N-E Deluxe" NVIDIA nForce3 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 754 CPU Here at Newegg

Heres what I will be keeping:

ATI Radeon 9600 256MB
1GB (2x512mb) Corsiar Value PC3200 RAM
Maxor 80GB 8MB IDE Harddrive
Lite-on 52x32x52 Burner
Lite-on 16x DVD

Thanks for the input! :grinthumb

Bill

Like you I have usually used ASUS boards for my own systems too and have found them to be pretty good, stable and reliable.

Going from XP 3200 to Athlon 64 3200 will probably give you about 10 - 20% in benchmarks, whether this will be noticable in real life terms I rather doubt it.
Which begs the question,,,,why upgrade?

I have a freind willing to buy my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and my AMD Athlon XP 3200+ for a pretty good deal... so I figured... why not....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back