TechSpot

Upgrade from Celeron D to Pentium 4

By nickq
Nov 16, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi everyone..
    currently i have a 340* Intel Celeron D Processor in my pc, however i want to upgrade it since it doesnt run games pretty well..
    (ram is good=1024 MB, video card is ok=ATI Radeon 9250 256 MB PCI)

so my question is should i or can i upgrade from my current proccesor to a Pentium 4 or better? thnx
  2. Teaser261

Teaser261 TS Rookie Posts: 177

Just a heads up, these guys are gonna need to know your mobo manufacturer and psu and things like that to be able to help.( I'm sure someone smarter than I will be along shortly) Also a PCI graphics card is alot slower than PCIE or AGP
  3. nickq

nickq TS Rookie Topic Starter

ya i kno about the PCI video card..
    where to i find the MOBO model and all those things?
  4. Teaser261

Belarc Advisor

Google "Belarc Advisor", download it and run it . It will tell you everything you could want to know about your machine. the guys around here use something different , but I can't remember. It doesn't have spyware. Also another good app is PC Wizard 2006
  5. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Celeron D 340s are Socket 478. That means that if you get a Pentium 4, it also needs to be socket 478.

Here is a 3.0GHz Pentium 4 for Socket 478.
  6. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

In order to improve graphical performance, you should upgrade your video card first. That Celeron D 340 CPU should perform better with a faster videocard, like a Radeon X800 for example.
  7. Bluemouse

Bluemouse TS Rookie Posts: 405

Are you sure you want to go to a p4? How much are you looking to spend? Dual core comps are far superior if you are willing to spend the money.
  8. nickq

i really dont wanna spend that much...
    i ran some benchmarks the other day.. my video card does fine however my cpu is horrible.. i dont wanna upgrade video card..

but is it worth the $70-100 upgrade to pentium 4?
  9. nickq

ok here is all the info on my current pc:

Processor:
    2.93 gigahertz Intel Celeron D
    16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

RAM:1024 MB

Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. Govii 1.03
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.02 07/26/2004

System Model:
    Compaq Presario 061 PJ517AA-ABA SR1220NX NA440 0n41411CO101GOVII00
    System Serial Number: CNH435017K
    Enclosure Type: Desktop
    (dont know if that one is needed...)
  10. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

Hmmm, actually, the 9250 is a pretty slow card. I've had a Celeron D 335 working with a 9600XT, and it played Farcry, NFS:MW, BF2 and other games pretty good.
    I can assure you that the PCI 9250 is slowing you down....

And for a PCI system..... the best video card is the ATI X1300, but it's somewhat expensive. Also, the Geforce 6200 should kill a 9250. However, don't expect them to be amazing cards. PCI interface is just too slow for modern graphics card.
  11. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,198

Hi Nickq,
    I do not believe it's worth upgrading that system.

It only supports upto 533mhz bus CPU's, whereas the only really worthwhile upgrades for P4 would be a Prescott or Northwood (read 800mhz bus) CPU.

Also, your motherboard only supports single-channel and ddr-333 memories. These would also cripple a Pentium 4.

Can you enjoy improvements in performance? Sure, but the cost/benefit of it would be tainted due to the surrounding components. You'd be going through a lot of work with the result being fairly small.

If you are really hellbent against replacing the motherboard, I'd say find the cheapest 533mhz CPU and hope you can re-use your stock CPU Cooler. For example, here's one for around 50 bucks US:
    http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=111

12. Teaser261

If you upgrade, I'll buy your old cpu. I'm running a P4 2.0 on an MSI at the same clock bus. I've been dyin' for a new cpu , but they are far and few between for these old boards. I also agree about your graphics. Don't you have an AGP slot?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.