Upgrade graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a XPS/Dimension XPS Gen 2. The graphic card it came with crapped on on me 6 months after my warranty expired, a friend let me borrow his generic card just to use on a temp basis. What can I upgrade to. I believe i only have an agp connection and i was referred a card that uses pci express, i assume it wont work. What can i do?

Just off the bat, I took a look to see what they have at www.tigerdirect.com. Click on Video Cards on the left side menu column, then select the submenu AGP cards. There are 40 cards to choose from. You'll have fun looking at the selection. Check to see that it is compatible with your processor. I would also see what kind of selection they have at www.directron.com. Those are my favorite two online stores for getting computer parts.

Thanks for your help. The problem is that i dont know whats good and whats not. Also i dont know what my motherboard can handle either.

Thanks for your help. The problem is that i dont know whats good and whats not. Also i dont know what my motherboard can handle either.

You need to identify what speed AGP port your motherboard has. Most new-ish AGP cards support both 4x and 8x bus speeds so you'd be fine if the slot supports either of those speeds. If you're looking for a good AGP card, the 6800GT, 7800GS and 7950GT are a few of the best ones. Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of e-tailers that sell them anymore but you might be able to dig something up with a Nextag search. Ebay is also your friend. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back