TechSpot

upgrade HDD in dell4550

By dcgilbert
Aug 19, 2006
  1. Hello All, My name is David and I am a rank newbie. I've been doing some research and I'm just about ready to start this project. I could use some advice regarding HDD selection. The current is a WD300BB. Is it a good idea to stay with the "BB" series or could I use the "JB". 6 more megs of cache.
    Also, I've down loaded files many times, but this will be my first copy to a CD. The WD data guard utility has been recommended. When I burn the boot file from WD, how can I verify it's a good copy. thanks David

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

There's no reason to stick with BB. JB (years ago) was about the same price and 8MB of cache made a noticeable difference in benchmarks, although you might be hard pressed to see it in real-world use. However, BB and JB aren't really relevant anymore... And there's drives with as much as 16MB of cache now.

I also wouldn't stick with JUST Western Digital. Other brands are just as good - if not better - and I think you should see what's out there. Reviews can be found here: www.storagereivew.com

Storage is cheap these days. That 300BB is a 30GB, yeah? For less than $50, you can get an 80GB and for less than $100, you can score a 300GB. So you should consider what your needs are and will be in the future and buy a drive based on that criteria. Some of the best prices for hard drives in the U.S. can be found here: http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Category.asp?Category=15

3. dcgilbert

dcgilbert TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for your help Rick. Newegg is definitely at the top of the short list. So is it safe to say BB or JB will work? I guess the most important thing to me is making sure the parts I order, for this project, will be compatible with a 5yr. old dell, and I can "monkey see, monkey do" my way thru it. The 120mg is plenty for my needs. David

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.