TechSpot

upgrade now or wait for dx10

By deano3041
Nov 2, 2006
  1. well guys i currently have a x800xl which is performing valiantly for over a year now but i need an upgrade soon so i can play my games on my new hd tv but anyways im thinkin about buying this sick x1950pro turbo from newegg but idk if i should wait until direct x 10

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161043

2. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Wait for DX10. 8800GT/X comes out in just a few months. Just hold out with ur X800, maybe overclock it or something but just wait abit for DX10.

3. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,199

I don't know what you'd be trying to accomplish.

The X800XL is 16-pipelines, 16-pixel shaders with medium to high clock speeds.
    The X1950Pro is 12-pipelines, 36-pixel shaders with high clock speeds.

You'd be losing 4 pixel rendering pipelines, so if the goal is higher resolution for widescreen, you'd be going down a hair in this department. Shader performance will go up DRAMATICALLY though, so games like Oblivion and shader-rich games will fly.

I'd say wait for a 16-pipeline (or more) card variant if you're looking for more fillrate to fill higher resolution. Nvidia has 20 and 24-pipeline solutions that fit this bill nicely as well, but unfortunately are also 20/24 pixel shaders.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.