TechSpot

Upgrade or Buy new PC?

By dbake24
Jul 21, 2007
  1. What can I do to get myself more frames on my games?

--My Specs--
    Intel Celeron D
    768mb RAM, 2 avail. slots, 2 gb max
    Radeon 9250 video card
    2 Avail. PCI slots :(

Or should I just buy a new machine?

2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,987   +957

Well.......

It would help if you told us which Celeron, what graphics card interface, and the make & model of the mobo.

3. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

dbake24; You should not report a post like captaincranky's, the report post feature shall only be used to report SPAM and other activity that is against the ToS

You did not list if it is a AGP or PCI Express GFX card, that is what he asked, and also what motherboard you have

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

A celeron with integrated graphics is NOT for games.

You need a computer with a fast processor (important), a super graphics card (very important), and ample ram (quite important).

5. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 544

And don't forget a larger hard drive (SATA preferably) and an ample power supply.

6. dbake24

dbake24 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 36

sorry, I'm a noob here. and I totally regret buying that computer because its the 1st PC I ever bought. and I clearly put PCI in that post.

7. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,290   +25

PCI cards will not cut it for decent gaming. I'm afraid you'll need a new PC if you're not okay with playing most of your games on medium-low detail. If you want recommendations on a new PC (or a PCI graphics card, for that matter), give me a budget and your exact location and I'll see what I can do.

8. dbake24

dbake24 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 36

Rage_3K_Moiz posted "If you want recommendations on a new PC (or a PCI graphics card, for that matter), give me a budget and your exact location and I'll see what I can do."

Well I really dont have a budget because if theres a better PCI video card than the one I have now I will pay anything but I will set it at $100-$150 for now and what do you mean by my exact location?

9. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,290   +25

By exact location I meant country and state, if applicable. From your personal info, I'm guessing you're in the US. Also, I'd advise against a new card if you are able to pay for a new PC, since PCI is outdated already and you will not be able to play newer games like Crysis when they release. That's why I told you to get a new PC. Anyways, here is a link to the best PCI card available. It's your call in the end.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.