Upgrade or New?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekaonija

Hi, so far I haven't got the best PC, mostly because of the low budget I'm on but I'm thinking its time to put more or less then 1k into a computer.

I'm looking to build a PC more for gaming, but good at running the basics also.

Would be cheaper to upgrade what I have right now, or get a new system all together?

Current:

Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) 2200+ 1494Mhz

Memory: 512 Mb of RAM

Video card: ASUS A9250 Series

Hard Disks: Maxtor 6Y080L0 90GB

Right now my problem with this computer is that it is slow at multi-tasking,
Lags occasionally, during game play mouse and keyboard stop responding and I am forced to restart, Sound during game play stops and then I am not able to exit that program and am forced to restart.

I am looking for the best upgrades to FIRST stop the Sound, Mouse and keyboard issue, Second to improve overall speed and performance.

If upgrading is probably not the best way to go and would be easer to get a new computer I was thinking about something like this https://www.techspot.com/article/34-core2duo-gaming-under-1000/page2.html

And if you do have some advise can you tell me what I should get first.

example:
1: 2.0 Ghz "name"
2: New Video card "name"
3: 1GB of RAM

I suspect my mother board is the problem with the mouse keyboard, sound thing considering there all plugged into it.

what kind of motherboard do you have? Generally if you plan on spending more than $400 in parts, it's time to replace the system. But many parts can often be recycled like floppy drives, cd roms and hard drives. read the guides forum on speeding up sluggish computers. I still run my home system on an athlon xp 3200+. Games run fine. I do have a top of the line AGP card.

if your pc's no godo at multitasking then my first thought is dual core, but if you're on a budget (like me :D) it's not much of a practical option. but then again i'm not familiar with US pricing or exchange rates so it may be slightly cheaper over there, i don't know. for gaming i'd definately say 1GB ram but it depends what motherboard you have/would upgrade to because you may be able to keep your old ram and just get another 512MB stick. like tedster says, some parts can be recycled.

Yeah, I think the First thing I would replace is the mother board (M7VIG 400)
I have 2, 256 Ram sticks.
and the ASUS A9250 Series video card.
These are probably the only things I need to replace and I think I can get at least 200$ back from the store. My budget is probably 400$ CAD this month, but a couple of months from now I can have over 1,000 or 2.

Oh yeah and what would the difference be between, lets say a 512 RAM that cost's 200$ And a 512 RAM that costs 50$
Does the more expensive one perform better?

I think if I'm going to upgrade I'm going to with something like this, I'd just like to know if anyone sees any incompatibility issues or maybe if theres something else i should know..

Processor:AMD Athlon™ 64 3700+, 2.4 GHz $89.00
Motherboard:Xpress 200 CrossFire-chipset motherboard $80
Graphics card #1:ATI X1800XT $350
Graphics card #2:ATI Radeon X1800XT Crossfire 512MB Pcie $328
Hard drive:Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160 GB SATA Hard Drive $100
Memory:2GB Crucial PC-4000 $300
Power:OCZ PowerStream 600W $140
Cooling:Vapochill Micro $42

Thanks

Hmm

Do you mean you want to get 2 1800xt's and put the in crossfire ? If so Id suggest saving your cash and just get a 8800GTS, it will offer near the same perfomance as the 2 XT's and will be able to give you the image quality also.

Would also save you a little cash buying the single card.

Also it seems like you are going budget with some stuff to be able to go higher end on other stuff.

At this point in time I would not suggest getting a AMD 939 system as it is a dead socket. It is outdated, even though it will still perform decent, there is not future upgradability with it.

I know your budget isnt in line with getting a core 2 duo system, but id suggest looking at the AM2 platform as it offers much better upgradability for the future along with DDR2 wich is about the same price per MB as DDR1

Take a look at this link https://www.techspot.com/article/25-affordable-am2-gaming-system/

I would go with an Core 2 duo e6300, and as jimshady said, get a 8800 instead of those x1800's. The 8800 supports dx10, so thats another advantage.

Thanks for the advice, but I guess I'm just Upgrading this one until I can afford the one I have in mind =)

Any suggestions on a cheap mother board and video card better then a ASUS A9250 Series Video card, and M7VIG 400 Motherboard

I only need this one for another 6-12 months so it doesn't matter if its upgradeable or not.

The new one I have in mind: xD

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800
eVGA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
XFX GeForce 8800GTX Graphics Card
XFX GeForce 8800GTX Graphics Card
Corsair 9136C5 kit
Corsair Nautilus 500
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Tower
Monitor
Logitech® G7 Laser Cordless Mouse
Logitech® G15 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech® Premium Notebook Headset
QuickCam® Pro 5000

And a nice hefty 4k to get it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back