Upgrade problems. PCI express info needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to upgrade my system new mother board, video card, and processor. They are,

MB = nForce4-A939
CPU = AMD Athlon 64 3200
VC = ATI x700 Pro PCI Express
HD = 80 GB western digital
RAM = 2x 512 DDR (1 GB)
OS = Win XP PRO sp/2 W/ Large HD support
430 watt power supply w/ PCIe enabled (24 pin)

After switching everything out from my old AGP board I can not get the system to boot up. There are 2 posabilities I found reading through the ATI manual. ONE, when I try to boot up I get a beeping which (by the manual) indicates that the power supply to the video card is not connected correctly. However I have 2 power conections to the MB, the 24 pin main connection + a 4 pin 12v auxiliary power connection. ( There is NO direct power connection to the video card possible). Secondly, it said to "Update Your AGP Motherboard/Chipset Drivers". But if this is a brand new board that should not be a problem, right? None the less I'll try it, however I have 1 PCIe board so I will have to break down my system and do this using my old AGP board?

Just to make it clear the MB is a PCIe board. :)

If anyone has any ideas to what my problem may be please HELP!!!

Thank you,
Dana

PS - I've been drinking so if anything sound odd please feel free to comment and I'll respond ASAP.

you need to look at the motherboard's manual, not the video card's. your board may require a bios update to aupport your cpu, depending on what exactly both parts are. detailed information the the motherboard, it's date of manufacture, and the cpu's core, process, and type would be very usefull to us here.

Some PCI express Vid cards need a seperate power connection directly to the card. Depending on the Power supply brand etc it will have a seperate cable for this purpose or you use an adapter on one of the standard molex power terminals. You must confirm this with the installation instructions with your vid card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back