Upgrade problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddystabz

I just upgraded my motherboard, RAM, video card, CPU and, heat sink. I got all the new stuff into the computer and a local store did the initial post of the system for me. I took the system home to install Windows XP and had trouble getting the system to recognize the single hard drive I had hooked up to it. I ran into the problem that the new board wants only SATA connections and 3 out of 4 of my hard drives are regular ATA. I bought adapters for them to turn them into SATA to plug into the motherboard and my one regular SATA should be fine I thought. For purposes of installing the OS I only hooked up one hard drive. I had to hook it up on the IDE hookup[ on the motherboard because the system would not recognize it with my adapters on. I have no idea what I'm going to do about the adapters.

Once the system recognized my hard drive in the BIOS finally I tried to install Windows after loading my RAID drivers for the board but it would hang in the install where it says "loading Windows." I then got checking and found out that my CD/DVD burner that is on the same IDE line as my hard drive was set to master. I thought this might be the issue and changed the jumper to slave and now after that the system does nothing. When I hit the power button it does nothing at all. It doesn't even seem to try to boot. Could this mean my power supply is bad? I noticed a little blue light is on on the motherboard for sys standby. Can anyone help me please?

keep it simple. then start adding components once you get each added component working.

You have too many changes all at once.

Pecking Order.....

The HDD should be in the master position on the IDE cable (furthest from the board) and must be set to master as well. The CD drive would cause a transfer bottleneck as the master. Don't know if that applies to or alters the situation at hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back