TechSpot

Upgrade processor and XP slows down?

By SWITZER22
Mar 30, 2005
  1. hey all,

i have a problem that is bothering me. I decided to upgrade my moms computer, it was an older IBM netvista. I upgraded the motherboard with new ddr400 ram and a Intel P4 2.4GHz processor. I did not change the CD drives or the HD. When I first booted the newley upgraded computer i ran the XP repair and that seemed fine but now the computer is just as slow as before and has tripple the speed and memory. It seems like the HD is working really hard, is it possible I need to format the drive and reload XP or is there something not compatible with the HD itself?

Any solutions are greatly appreciated.

Don.

2. triplate

triplate TS Rookie Posts: 148

Whats the fsb of the mobo??..just adding "faster" ram and cpu isnt going to do anything for you if the mobo itself can only handle so much...

3. SWITZER22

SWITZER22 TS Rookie Topic Starter

the motherboard was upgraded as well. r

4. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

did you add more memory or just change the speed of sticks
    MB bios may need updated to reflect changes
    what was the old cpu speed
    if board only takes up to 266 you can put (most times) a faster stick in it but all you get is the 266 or 133x2
    if you added more memory you should see some improvement
    try some tests and check with sites that give you charts on your specs

5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

Could be a software problem then...

...or the hard disk drive doesn't have DMA enabled. Check from Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - IDE ATA(PI) controllers - Advanced Settings that DMA is enabled for all devices in all channels.

If it is, it's most likely something with the software, something running in background.

6. SWITZER22

SWITZER22 TS Rookie Topic Starter

the ram was upgraded from 128MB PC 133 to 512MB DDR 400. The processor was upgraded from PIII 850MHz to P4 2.4Ghz. Motherboard is a asus p4 compatible board.

7. triplate

triplate TS Rookie Posts: 148

Fdisk it and put a fresh install on.

8. elfinster

elfinster TS Rookie Posts: 22

Before you format, check the BIOS. I had a computer once that had a XP 2400+ (2.0 GHz) and it would at random times change to a 1GHz in the BIOS and would need to have the FSB (I believe) adjusted. Can't hurt to check.

9. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Also, when you change motherboards, you need (in 95% of all cases) to re-install XP from scratch.
    The XP on it now, still has all the old drivers for the old motherboard, and these are guaranteed not compatible with the new motherboard.
    Try and uninstall any hardware from Device Manager that still points to the old mobo. Then install the CD that came with the new mobo. If that fails, start from scratch...

10. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 1,595

You also mentioned the HDD is working a lot.

1) Check for fragmentation
    2) Check for file system corruption
    3) Download appropriate diagnostic utilities (maxtor, WD and seagate all provide their own) and run it on your disc

It may be a disc starting to fail.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.