Upgrade Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilmog

Hey, for the holidays I am upgrading my PC, and I was just wondering what everyone here thinks would be the best possible upgrade for my setup. By the way, I plan to play games like Unreal Tournament 3 (max graphics) Crysis (High Graphics). I only really want to upgrade my CPU and graphics card. Also, keep in mind overclockability for the CPU, because I definitely plan to overclock it.
My setup
-Abit AN8 SLI socket 939 Motherboard
-Nvidia 7800 GTX
-2gb DDR 400 RAM
-amd 64 3500+ CPU
-X-fi Xtreme Music soundcard

Thanks!

Are you sure that the 8800 gt would be a better investment than the 8800 gts Rev. 2s that are coming out on tuesday the 11th?
And also, I really see no need to upgrade my sound card, but thanks for the recommendation anyway.

On the GFX, probaly not, but the soundcard, well, the X-music is to the X-fi family as what the Nvidia 8400 is to the 8th family.

Which graphics card are you referring to as the "probably not" a better investment, and for the sound I don't really care too much about sound quality, because in the heat of a battle I really can't tell the difference between even onboard and a real card to tell you the truth.

Your best bet for a cpu upgrade would be a 100 series Opteron. They are all dual core and can be highly overclocked. Your overclock will be limited by your ram unless you have some very good PC3200. 2GB of PC4000 is fairly easy to find but can be expensive compared to 2GB of DDR2. I'd recommend a 8800GT if you can find one.

The 8800GTS revision 2 will be a better buy provided you can wait for it. It will be more powerful than the 8800GT and will be a worthy investment. If you need a card urgently, get one of the new 8800GT 256MB cards. As for the CPU, get the Opteron 165. It overclocks like mad and is very powerful for the price. The sound card is no big deal, and the X-Fi is overrated. Even an Audigy is alright IMO. Lastly, do keep in mind that no rig today is able to play Crysis smoothly with all the settings cranked up. You might wanna wait for the 9800 series of cards for that.

I'm in almost the same boat as Dilmog, except my gfx card is the 7900GT. My upgrade path is a new rig altogether, I just can't see spending money on the discontinued 939 cpu upgrades, when for half the price I can get C2D E6800 or even a Q6600. Sure I eat it on the mobo and new DDR2 ram but at least I'm back in the mainstream platform. That's just food for thought Dilmog.

Stupid AMD releasing AM2 and discontinuing the 939 cpus, not 6 months after me making my rig. grrr. LOL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back