Upgrade to Pentium D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pentium 4 HT 2.8 GHz on my dell e310; i want to know if upgrading to a Pentium D 820 Smithfield 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache is worth it. And is my current CPU good enough for Vista?

I don't think it would be worth the effort. The jump to the Allendale would probably be a better investment.

I've never used a P4 with Vista, but I ran it on an Athlon 3200 just fine - make sure you have plenty of RAM and a decent GPU.

Pentium D is one of Intel's greatest failures. Do not upgrade to a Pentium D under any circumstances. Skip right over it and get a Core 2. However, a P4 2.8GHz would be just fine for Vista.

I would agree my mom has one and its slow and crappy.=/ i got core 2 duo 2.6 and it ownz go for the core 2 duo you would get your moneys worth.

Yea, totally agreed. A Core 2 at 1.8GHz is around the performance of a 5.5-6.0 GHz Pentium D. Just because Core 2s do FAR more operations per clock cycle. So they need fewer clock cycles to get the same level of performance as a Pentium D. Hell a Core 2 at 900MHz would probably be plenty fast even for mid-range gamers.

please explain difference ie pentium D and core 2s i have a D 945 3.4ghz im not into gaming i use adobe photoshop and premier for most of my pc work would i be better off with core2 or quad core etc

Did you get the license # of that processor?

MikeM182 said:
I have a pentium 4 HT 2.8 GHz on my dell e310; i want to know if upgrading to a Pentium D 820 Smithfield 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache is worth it. And is my current CPU good enough for Vista?
The Pentium 4s fall into two categories at the moment Prescott 90n& the cedar mill 65nm. The cedar mill P4s are probably better than an 820 Pentium D
from the jump. Emachines is putting 800 series Pentium Ds into their computers so they can advertise DUAL CORE processors. oooooh wow!! The Pentium Ds and the Prescott P4s are Intel's excursion into marketing space heaters. A 631 or 641 P4 Cedar Mill would actually be somewhat of an upgrade from a 2.8 Ghz P4. The higher number Pentium Ds, 930 & up start approaching the Core 2 Duos in price, so why bother? Given enough RAM and a quality video card you should be able to pull off Vista Premiun with one of the high end Celeron Ds (Cedar Mill cores).

Hmmm Good Question!!

gadgetkeith said:
please explain difference ie pentium D and core 2s i have a D 945 3.4ghz im not into gaming i use adobe photoshop and premier for most of my pc work would i be better off with core2 or quad core etc
The difference in core architecture between Pentium D and Core 2 Duo is probably way beyond the scope of a forum such as this.
As to Adobe's programs, they have been writing programs for multiple processors for years. You know, The infamous Mac G series has been available with dual processors for years. Anyway as to if they are optimized for quad core processors I don't know, but Photoshop CS3 is now available in beta. (But , only if you have CS2) So, this would be a good time to contact Adobe for more information.

I just underclocked my e6300 lower than stock and my benches are still higher than my p4 3.4 that i use to have in my old system, go core2duo

have spoken to a couple of people today and seeing as my cpu was purchased from one of them he said if i realy want to go down the core 2 road for a small cash adjustment he will swap my cpu and he said as its only a month old he will use it in one of his own shop systems now what should i go for gimme some ideas .

Agreed. Unless you are building a really high end system theres no need to get a core 2 extreme or a core 2 duo 2.66ghz. the 1.83 or 2.13ghz should serve you well, and much better than a pentium d.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back