Upgrade to Vista 64bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tha General

I am using Vista 32bit home basic and i think i can use 4GB. So far i have 3.25GB of ram, one stick of 256mb DDR2 and 3 sticks of 3GB's of ddr2. Everything is working great, the OS is lovely, games are running amazing on my rig(with PCI cards), even tho i am moving on to PCIE soon, because i have a full x16 slot, etc. Speed is great, etc.

So i was curious is it worth the upgrade to 64Bit or just stick with Vista 32bit?

I am very temp to upgrade, its like i can't stop thinking about it hahaha.

I think it's not worth it. If your system is running that great, why bother? No 32bit systems can use more than about 3.2 GB of ram, even if Vista SP1 and above may report 4GB. Read this for more information about memory usage.
Maybe you should consider getting Windows 7 x64 when it ships this summer, but for now, I can't see why you should gain any noticeable speed by upgrading to Vista x64 :)

Thanks for the link, i guess i will just stick with it. Its really good, just was wondering about 64bit. Thanks for the link also.

We find more of all sorts of problems with clients who have VISTA 64 bit, unless you are really ready to learn, and service what you learn.

Not to mention people who find (after the fact) they can't find 64-bit versions of needed drivers.

IMHO anyone who wants to do/try a 64-bit upgrade should first create a ghost backup of their current hard drive.

=> If you learn the 64-bit step is all problems and the upgrade was a big mistake it'll only take a few mouse clicks. Then go have dinner and come back to find your system just the way it used to be before the upgrade

raybay (by the way, good to see you posting here) and LookinAround, in your opinions -- and I realize this is only conjecture on your part at this time -- do you think the 64-bit issue of drivers be more aggressively resolved in the Windows 7 release?

raybay (by the way, good to see you posting here) and LookinAround, in your opinions -- and I realize this is only conjecture on your part at this time -- do you think the 64-bit issue of drivers be more aggressively resolved in the Windows 7 release?
I actually know next to nothing about Windows 7 so this is entirely conjecture and speculation on my part.. but i'd say

IMHO The lack of 64-bit driver support / problem with Vista is a side-affect of the development and marketing disaster Microsoft encountered in delivering Vista. Vista itself required many hardware/firmware changes to begin with. Add to that the fact that so many end-users (like me) refused to adopt Vista and stuck to XP (or some even still sticking to Win2K) that vendors just didn't want to invest in 64-bit Vista (and often only reluctantly invested in developing drivers for 32-bit Vista for their newer hardware products). The 64-bit Vista end-user market just never developed to make the all the device and driver development worthwhile

I'm assuming that MS learned from their Vista mistake/disaster and Windows 7 will be better and more widely and rapidly adopted. But that's my guess of what MS will be shooting for. No idea if they'll get things right this time (and right out of the box this time as well!)

/* EDIT */
But, i'd add, since MS has finally driven the stake into the heart of XP sales (and eventually XP support) and Vista is clearly gonna be a thing of the past, vendors will be more willing to adopt (maybe even just "leap-frogging" XP directly to Windows 7) provided MS doesn't release another product bug-filled disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back