Upgraded CPU, little improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! First post, can't wait to pick your brains! I decided to upgrade my processor from an AMD 3800+ (2.0GHz) to a 5600+ (2.8GHz) because my CPU frequently max's out when I'm multitasking, and vids get choppy. Computer booted up fine, drivers installed successfully. I rebooted, and noticed that bootup actually takes slightly longer now?!?! Also I don't find that my app's are starting up any faster really. Every thread I read discussing similar upgrades resulted in huge improvements, and so far I am not impressed. What do I do? I also noticed that when app's start up, the processors are running at like 10-20% (fluctuates). Shouldn't they work harder and open up app's a lot faster? I'm assuming there's a bottleneck somewhere?
Thank you in advance for your help, I'd be happy to answer any aditional q's. I ran Everest diagnostics on comp before and after CPU switch just for fun, so have lots of data (I think)
P.S. core's running at about 25 degrees C at idle, up to high 30's when workin moderately.

In case it doesnt post with this thread, I have a dell E521 (Geforce 6150 MOBO), with 2 GB 667MHz RAM, 2x 250GB HD's @7200rpm, Geforce 7300LE 128MB, and currently have the stock 305W PS, but have ordered Coolermaster Extreme 650W PS, should get it in next few days.

fyi

If this helps, I ran 3DMark06, and got a total score of 773, which places me in the bottom 5%...my CPU tests resulted in less than 1 FPS, and my CPU score was 1892, which is like 200 lower than firingsquad.com's score with the same processor. Apparently I need 3 posts to post a link, so I can post the link to my test results if it would help.

Thanks again, please help me!!:(

Did you tweak settings in BIOS. If not, the system may be using the same settings as with the original chip. The new cpu may need to be adjusted in order to achieve optimal performance. Try tweaking the settings.

For best performance, all the various components should march along at much the same pace.
I was also wondering what drivers had to be installed - don't usually have drivers for a CPU

Hey EXCellR8, I'm not super computer savvy, I've read some articles about adjusting the BIOS, but haven't ever done it. What should I be looking for? I read about the user/system/idle split, is that something I should adjust?
Thanks a lot for your help.

Hey Albert yah I thought it was odd too, maybe it didn't install driver, it ran through the new hardware wizard, I assumed that meant it was installing driver...sorry...

Make sure you have the AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core Optimizer installed. It fixes a lot of problems with the CPUs and can be found here.

Hey Rage when I try to install it I get an error reading:
Error 1721...problem installing package...program required that could not be run...

Ah, I didn't see that you were running Vista. You don't need that program in that case. I think it is a problem with your BIOS not recognizing the chip. Does it show up in Everest? Also, does it show up in the Device Manager? If it doesn't you'd need a BIOS update from your motherboard manufacturer's site.

Ok I updated to BIOS v. 1.1.11, the newest one, and installed the AMD dual-core optimizer and power monitor (for fun)...which was not an easy process. 3DMark is now telling me my processor is running at 2766MHz, but my score went up about 70 points. It also says it's set up 5-5-5-15, and I attached a screen shot of motherboard info about FSB and stuff. Is there anything wrong with these settings?

Attachments

• cpustats.jpg
    cpustats.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 6
Your PSU is underpowered and causing the problems you are experiencing. Your new PSU will solve your problems.

The PSU is not affecting performance at all. An overloaded PSU will usually shut down or blow, depending on it's build quality. Since the stock Dell PSU that comes with his PC is made by PC Power & Cooling, it's a safe bet to say that it's not going to blow. It provides 22A on the +12V rail which is hardly anywhere near what his PC is pulling from it. I'm positive the problem lies elsewhere.
@2000fumanchu, why is your memory running at 624MHz? It should be running at 667MHz. That might be the cause of your problems, although I cannot be 100% sure.

What efficiency though? An overloaded PSU doesn't shut down or blow, it causes BSOD's, graphical glitches, and other strange behaviour. A 300W psu that can only deliver 260W will be running flat out on that system.

I forgot to add "pushed to it's limit" beside overloaded. That would've probably gotten the point across. Also, PC Power & Cooling PSUs usually have a 75-80% efficiency rating and this one should be no different. It has an ambient temperature rating of 50C where it would show that efficiency.

Rage thank you again for all your help, how do i get my RAM up to speed (or over)? Should I be referencing the overclock section instead of bugging you? I am putting the 650W power supply in anyways, so I can upgrade graphics card eventually, if it ever comes, NCIX.com is dropping the ball on that one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back