Upgraded pent II to III in old board-> fan stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm brand new, thank you for having me. HELP!!!!

MY FAN IS STILL NOT ON!! Will I burn up? In an old Compaq pressario 5600i machine w slot 1 pentium II on a bx chipset board I removed the cpu fan plastic over the heat sink and disconnected the fan. then I removed the Pentium II cartridge replacing it with a Pentium III and booted

After a couple tries and resetting BIOS defaults the machine boots fine (I'm sending this from the machine) BUT THE CPU FAN IS STILL NOT ON!! There is very little heat coming off this old Pentium III. Is that the reason the fan is not on? Should it always be on? Should I worry about this? I'm not gaming with this, just internet and email (the answer to the assembly language debug question in my intro blurb is -p or proceed) so is this something I need to worry about? We are talking 450 mghz on 100 mghz FSB. Does this fan only work if it really gets hot? Somebody just told me the third wire on the fan connection is a tachometer: judging the speed of the fan BUT THIS TACHOMETER IS GOVERNED BY THE PROCESSOR AND SINCE I CHANGED PROCESSORS IT MAY NOT WORK ANY MORE. Am I screwed? Do I have to go back to the pentume II?

Note:a very limited crappy BIOS shows not thermal measure. There is NOTHING there. No fan sensor or indicator for sure in the BIOS. You can see a hard drive name and boot order but that's it pretty much.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

you may be able to use a 3 pin to 4 pin molex adaptor to connect the fan directly to the power supply. Then see if the fan runs then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back