Upgrading an LG International "Bluelight"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJtheIrishLass

I have an LG International "Bluelight" PC (LG6178BL) that I think is supposed to be upgradeable to 128megs of RAM. It currently has 64mb of RAM (two 32mb modules in two SDRAM slots). I have used 96mb of RAM without any problems, but when I try to use 128mb, the computer behaves strangely. When the POST screen loads and the memory test is running, the screen goes totally white except for the results of the memory test and it reboots. Anyone know what the cause of this might be?

KingCody said:
are you sure that RAM is compatible?

click here then click scan my system, it will tell you what you need
Hi,
Yup, that's what I used to select it, however, I will double-check. It's possible that I copied the info down wrong :eek: There's only one other thing I can think of offhand that may or may not be an issue. The 64mb module that it will accept has memory componants (not sure if I'm using the right term, but I'm referring to the raised black parts on the module) on one side of the module. The other two 64mb chips that it refuses to recognize have memory componants on the front AND back of the chip. I don't know how much this would have to do with it but thought I should mention it anyway.

it has alot to do with it...

Chips with the "raised black parts" on only one side are referred to as "single sided" and the ones with "raised black parts" on both sides are referred to as "double sided" chips, and some motherboards will only accept certain ones, I'm not quite sure why (maybe an electronics guy can tell you why it matters whether it's double sided or single sided)

but that is probably your issue right there

Sounds like your mother board needs what is called High Density memory and what you are putting in is low density. Very differnet and usually aren't able to be swaped out for the other.

KingCody said:
it has alot to do with it...

Chips with the "raised black parts" on only one side are referred to as "single sided" and the ones with "raised black parts" on both sides are referred to as "double sided" chips, and some motherboards will only accept certain ones, I'm not quite sure why (maybe an electronics guy can tell you why it matters whether it's double sided or single sided)

but that is probably your issue right there
I'm thinking more and more that this is the issue. When one of the double-sided chips was put in, it recognized only 16mb. When both were in, up came the white screen described in my original post. It handles the single-sided chips ok, but seems to really "hate" the doubles.

Jimbo420 said:
Sounds like your mother board needs what is called High Density memory and what you are putting in is low density. Very differnet and usually aren't able to be swaped out for the other.
Stupid question here :confused: Does High Density/Low Density have anything to do with whether the chips are single or double-sided?

Some time it depends on what size of memory you are talking about. Most of the time one sided means high density, and two sided means low density.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back