Upgrading and worried about compatibility

By Arsinos
Oct 25, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just got into playing Neverwinter nights 2 with some friends and when i installed a copy of it onto my dimension i was shocked to learn i have a crappy video card that cannot play it. So im upgrading. Im not the best with computers, i can install most of my own hardware, RAM is easy, but i have no idea what type of video card my computer can handle. The specs of my computer as far as i know are;

Windows XP
    Dell Dimension DM051
    Pentium D 2.66 ghz
    0.99 gb RAM

Current video card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family

If more imformation is needed ill gladly provide whatever i can. Thank you in advance for your time.

System Model: Dell DM051
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A07
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 1014MB RAM
    Page File: 404MB used, 2037MB available

This is just some different information i found around my PC, dont know if it helps or not
  2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,711

It all depends on the slots in the motherboard. They will either be AGP, PCI or PCI-Ex slots. Your existing VGA device is part of the motherboard.
    As far as I can find out, it has no AGP so you are really limited to a PCI-Ex card.
    I don't know which country you are in so cannot recommend a source, but there are loads of them - performance relates to price!
  3. Arsinos

Arsinos Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Country

I live in the Unites States sorry, forgot to post that part. Is there a way i can find out what slots i have open for a video card? I know there are some open slots in my computer but Im at a loss as to what they are for, any help is much appreciated.
  4. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,711

As above - you have only PCI and PCI-E slots. You need to run a PCI-E graphics card. You could either take the machine to a local shop and pay a bit more for the card but at least you would be sure it would work, or get something from one of the many on-line stores.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.