Upgrading CPU, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

GThomp6654

Sorry for asking the same question that you get asked over and over again, but I was wondering;

I have at the moment the following system:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
1gb ram
Radeon 9550 graphics card

and was thinking of upgrading to:

Intel Pentium D Dual Core 925
ASROCK CONROE 1333-D667 SOCKET 775 MOTHERBOARD
2gb KINGSTON 667MhZ DDR2 RAM
1gb NVIDIA GEFORCE 8500GT

I don't use my computer for many games etc, and mainly for browsing the web, and the odd on-line game, I have limited funds, so basically this seems to be the best I can get for my cash, is it worth that upgrade, or should I wait a little longer?

Thank you in advance

GT

The gpu I seen was only about £45, so basically I think I am giving up quality for quantity lol

Also I forgot to ask, what sort of PSU should I be looking at, I have a 500W at the moment, so I am unsure if that will be enough?

Saying you have a 500W PS is very ambigous statement. Alot more important is who makes it and what amp's you are getting to the 12v rail etc.

I have looked at my PS, it is a 600W WinPower, unfortunatly, I don't know how to find out any of the other info that may be needed

Personally, I would try to find a mobile AthlonXP processor and overclock it. If you don't need your system for games than I think that would be a better use of funds. I'm running an Athlon XP-m 2800 @ 2.4ghz w/ 2GB of RAM -plenty of power for general use and gaming. And, you would be able to keep your 500w PSU...

I have upgraded to the system shown above, but after downloading Speed Fan 4.33 it shows my CPU running at a base of about 48c - 52c
Is this a problem, and should I look into getting more cooling for my system?
I only have the basic Intel cooler attached atm, with a fan on the side of the case

I think I should also add, that when running all programmes that I do run, the temp rises to 56c/57c

Why get a new motherboard when you can just upgrade processor / video card / ram on the current one?

Will save you the money from the cost of a motherboard.

The Athlon XP is really old and uses Socket A (462), the only place you could probably find an upgrade is eBay. Also, the board uses AGP which is harder to find and more expensive than PCI-E. ALSO, the thing probably used DDR which is now costing $70 for 512 and not worth it. That's why it made sense to upgrade the mobo. It would cost more (and a waste of time) probably to upgrade on the current mobo.

Thats about the size of it, besides I wanted Dual Core of some description, athough I don't really need it lol

It's just the temp of my Processor that is worrying me now lol

If you clean the dust off the old heat sink without taking the heat sink off the processor you should be fine. You don't need to worry until you start hitting 55C. Your old Athlon is pretty much perfect for surfing the web. I have a slightly slower computer that I'm using right now for the same purpose. My temps at startup are around 37C.

I have eventually got it sorted, when I checked my CPU and fan, it seems I had removed all the paste that was on there, opps. So I bought some more, and with a little bit of patience I have managed to reduce the temp down to 45c - 48c

...Go Me lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back