upgrading from 98 se to XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagaga

Hello

I want to upgrade my Pavilion 8540 PC (UK) from Windows 98 se to XP Prof. I had an attempt a few months ago and had a terrible problem with the sound; the speakers kept making a horrible static noise and the volume control button on the keyboard was disabled. I'm just wondering if there are any drivers I can download which might eleviate these and any other problems I might face. I have a 40gb hard drive and a braodband connection.

hope you can help

Cheers

The sound problem was probably caused by Win98 sound software being left intact by the upgrade.

Things will be easier if you uninstall all sorts of non-Microsoft drivers before the upgrade. Also, uninstall any low level software like antivirus, firewall, stuff that came with sound card, video card, scanner, printer, etc..

Option number two if the above doesn't work, would be to download the xp pro setup disks (and create them from within windows), delete the partition(s) your drive using fdisk on th 98 startupdisk, and setup XP from there. If you still have a problem after that, use windows update/manufacturers sites to update your drivers.

Yagaga;
Before you do a clean install which is the only sane way to upgrade,Check Microsoft HAL list for compatibility with your hardware.It will save you a lot of agrivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back