Upgrading from XP home to PRo

Status
Not open for further replies.

toffeapple

JUst wondering if anyone has upgraded from home to pro and what problems i should look out for....I was gonna chance it from an OEM disk (PC is a home build) I have..anyone ever tried this?

i also have a home made pc that i loaded with oem xp-pro. just install the xp-pro. before doing so, go into bios, in boot sequence, choose "boot from cd first". then save the settings (your xp-pro cd should be in cd drive). and continue the prompts. i tried mine with no os on the pc. and booted right up from the oem cd. post back results.

alidabiri said:
i also have a home made pc that i loaded with oem xp-pro. just install the xp-pro. before doing so, go into bios, in boot sequence, choose "boot from cd first". then save the settings (your xp-pro cd should be in cd drive). and continue the prompts. i tried mine with no os on the pc. and booted right up from the oem cd. post back results.
yeah man ive done loads of installs but i my question was really can i ugrade with an oem disk for home to pro?

yes.
i have upgraded from 98-se to xp-pro. when oeo-xp install starts, it knows that there is some "os" on the machine. so, it tries to install an "upgrade". if there's no os, then it will install a complete os. that's how it works. it doesn't matter if it's home-xp or 98-se. they're both on the authorized upgrade path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back