TechSpot

Upgrading laptop RAM

By Flumple
Aug 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I'm considering upgrading the RAM on my laptop, but I'd like some advice before I buy.

My laptop is an Acer 5920, running Windows 7 32-bit. The specs are listed here http://www.miniputer.com/Acer/Aspire_5920.html . My model is running an Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 processor) with 2GB of RAM installed.

I'm considering upgrading to 4GB, using 2x2GB SODIMM, DDR2 sticks as recommended by the Crucial website (http://www.crucial.com/uk/upgrade/Acer-memory/Aspire+Notebooks/Aspire+5920-upgrades.html).

I understand that my Intel GM965 Express will only use RAM at 667MHz, so there's no need to buy 800MHz. Is this correct?

I've been quite confused by online discussions regarding how much RAM Windows 7 32-bit can recognise - will the full 4GB be utilised? If not, how much can my OS utilise, and will it make noticeable difference to the 2GB installed?

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,058   +919

800MHz RAM is not supported, so dont waste your money. 667MHz is what Crucial recommended. Go for that.

3. Flumple

Flumple TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 40

Right, what about the issue of Windows recognising all/part of the RAM?

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,058   +919

If you have Windows 7 32bit, Windows can only use 3.3-3.6GB of that. If you have a 64bit OS, then it can utilize more than 3.5 GB. It doesnt hurt to get your hands on a 64bit version. If you dont have the 64bit disk, you should be able to contact MS and explain to them why you need a 64bit version. They will give it to you for free since you already have the 32bit version.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.