Upgrading Main Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash19

I've had my computer for over two and a half years now and i'd like to upgrade the memory to at least 2GB. It came with 1GB and is starting to lag with some new software I'm running. Also I plan to upgrade to Vista soon and 2Gb is pretty much what you need to run it smoothly, or so i'm told. I have a few questions: How hard is it to install? What compatibility issues should I be aware of, how expensive is it and what problems might I have later on. I have never tampered with the interior of a computer so I don't want to go in all guns blazing and not have a clue what im doing. The PC is Dell with a pentium 4 3.0 GHz processor. Would i be better off just paying someone experienced to do it?

Some suggestions:
Take the cover off of the case, then spend a great deal of time looking and thinking. Look before you meddle, and get a feel for how your board is setup.
Some have memory slots that are easily accessible, while others require that other components be removed to give you easy access.
Use rubber gloves or plastic bags as you handle anything.
Memory is made to be easily removed or changed.
On each memory slot, there are clips on each end that slide into place when memory is installed properly. Those same clips can be rotated away from the memory with your protected hands to remove existing memory.
These clips are key. Understand how they work, or you can break one off, putting yourself into a world of hurt.
On the selection side, first find out what your computer or motherboard requires. One good source of information is on the www.crucial.com website where you will be able to list your computer or motherboard, and find out what is required. Crucial is also a great source of reliable, quality memory, and has free shipping on many days. There are plenty of other sites for good memory purchases. Consider Crucial, Samsung, Corsair, Infineon, OCZ, Kingston, and other such sources of first tier memory.
Do NOT select "Value Ram" as your memory choice unless your computer is used for such tasks as routine email and Office tasks. If you are a gamer, a photo editor, or have other needs for high speed, intensively used memory, Value Ram is probably not for you, though it is very good for routine tasks.
Be sure all your slots are clean by using a canned air such as Dust Off or other which contains a protective gas to prevent static electricity.
remove the old memory using gloves or plastic bag protection, and carefully replace it with new memory. Be sure the slots line up on the memory module with the ridges in the slot.
The memory will require firm pressure, pushing straight down, to install. Use steady, firm force from your thumb or fingers, being careful not to force the module sideways into any twisting motion.
When you are doing it correctly, it will fit. If not, do not force it. Figger out what is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back