Upgrading Memory(RAM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

death

Hi Guys;

I am running AMD Athlon XP 2100+, 1.73 GHz and have Soltek motherboard its "SL-KT400-A4/L" which has 3 DDR DIMM Slots.............and it can hold DDR 333/256MHz and up to 3 GB of unbufferd DDR ram.......

I recently upgraded my RAM from 256DDR to 512DDR.....................................

So, I have 2XSAMSUNG 256MB PC2700 DDR333 184PIN OEM Rams installed in DIMM1 and DIMM2. It runs fine with no problems

Now, I want to buy SAMSUNG 512MB PC2700 DDR333 184PIN OEM and install it in the DIMM3 slot with 2X256DDR rams..................This will make 1GB of DDR Ram...................

So, my question is, Will it run fine and will give me the same power as 1GB ram installed alone, or I have to take out the 2X256DDR rams and intall either 2X512DDR rams or just only 1GB DDR ram.

Please help...............I am kinda new to these things.

Also, Do I really need to get SAMSUNG brand or I can also install any other brand such as CORSAIR............

Thank You.

- Create your threads in the proper forum
Didou

You should be able to run the 512 with the 2x256 with no problems. I would check the latency of the RAM to verify they all match. Latency is usually denoted in this format 2.5-3-3-5. I would stick with the same manufacturer if possible. Only real way to tell if it is going to work is to try it and see and browse as many forums as you can to see if anyone else has had issues with those brands and sizes...
Bug

one of two places:
1) The memory will have a sticker provided by the manufacturer that will have the latency or the model number. Performing a search on google will usually result in locating the latency.

2) Finding the model numbers printed on the memory and searching on google can usually locate the speed of the ram and the typical latency for other brands that use the same chips.

Oh, you can check to see what the current setting on your computer is by using CPUz. This program must be run in windows and it will tell you information about your processor, motherboard, and memory. It doesn't tell you the best latency for your memory, just what it is currently set at.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

If you get us those numbers, we might be able to help out with that. :)

Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back