upgrading motherboard & AMD "XP" questions

By bmartin22
Apr 30, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. upgrading Motherboard Question

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you guys can tell me what your experience was when changing a motherboard . Here is what I am doing and my question. I am updating a system that has been running for 3+ years, I want to change the motherboard with a new Athlon XP processor but still using the original hard drive. Is there a correct procedure in doing this, because I know all the devices are going to be different in Windows. Should I go into the device manager and remove all of the devices before replacing the motherboard then hoock the drive up to the new mb and boot up and let it detect all the new stuff? Is this feasible? or is there a better way to upgrade a mb using what's already on the hard disk? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Bill
  2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Something like this was discussed at Hard drive moving to a new system. I'd say just toss it in, let OS detect what's new. That's what I've always done.
    Of course, a complete reinstall is always the most reliable option.
  3. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

I agree, it should detect everything. If you want to make sure that everything is detected and all is as it should be, or if you are just a perfectionist like me, you can back up your files and do a clean install. If you decide to do a clean install, make sure you copy any settings than you might be unsure about or anything you may have had to add special settings for.
  4. bmartin22

bmartin22 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

ok, thanks for the reply guys,

I think I will back up the data and then just plug it in and see what happens, I really don't want to have to format and install everything back onto it if I don't have to.

Thanks again,
    Bill
  5. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah Newcomer, in training Posts: 868

That's the best thing to do. Windows is pretty good at detecting and automatically installing drivers for new hardware. I would also just throw the basics in and see what happens. If Windows doesn't detect the hardware, then you can always install the drivers for it manually.

Stupid me when I first built my computer I just threw everything together and booted up. Everything was fine expect I had to manually install the drivers for my raid controller. I guess I got lucky!!! ;) Anyway, try just plugging the new hardware in and see what happens. Make sure to let us know the outcome :)
  6. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

If the operating system is Win9x based (i.e Windows 95, 98 or ME) then I think you should be able to do this. Once plug and play kicks in it will basically just junk your old settings and then redetect everything. You might have the odd mess in device manager where devices detected at old settings are wrong now, alongside entries that are now right so it might be up to you to do a bit of tidying there....

If its Windows NT4, Windows 2000 or XP, I think that a motherboard change might mean that a nice, constantly recurring blue screen of death might be waiting for you. :evil: :evil:

If your old system is still bootable with the old motherboard still in, then you could try the sysprep tool here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/tools/sysprep/default.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/deploying/introduction.asp

Which will essentially make Windows 2000 redetect everything on first boot (just before which, you will change the motherboard over...) and hopefully eventually everything will work out right again....

However, as I am sure you will discover, there is nothing quite like a good old fashioned format and reinstall which should work wonders with your new rig.....
  7. bmartin22

Thanks for the info,

It is a Win 98 SE machine, so that software won't work. but good to know its out there.

Thanks Everyone,
    Bill
  8. boeingfixer

boeingfixer Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,245

But with an older hard drive, you are gonna take a serious performance penalty.

Another problem you may have is what kind of case do you have ??

If it is AT, you are gonna need a new one, if you are lucky and have an ATX case, chances are that a new Athlon board is gonna be to big to fit. Even if the case can take a full size ATX board, your drives may not clear the resistors and capacitors on the Athlon board. Somthing to look for. It is very frustrating tearing your system apart only to find your board won't fit the case you have !!
  9. bmartin22

Yep, I already have a ATX that once housed an Athlon Xp 1600+ so I am good there. I have done several mb changes and know what to expect. I just wanted to know if any of you guys have had success in what I want to do. The upgrade is for my father-in-law and he does not want to lose all his stuff on the drive. Just for safety sake i'm going to stick a small spare HD I have in there and backup all docs and important stuff to it before I actually do the upgrade. Hope it goes well though.

Thanks everyone,
    Bill
  10. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

I tried this quite recently with a Dual Boot System (Win98/XP Pro).

When Windows 98 booted up, it seemed to install the new mobo drivers ok, but after going into device manager it seemed to have made quite a mess of it all (some drivers from the old board, some new, some duplicates). WinXP coped Okay, and installed all of the drivers correctly and the system seemed stable enough.

I would recommend making a backup, before you start, just to save you the hassle later if you decide to completely reinstall.
  11. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I did this once with Win98SE with a PC moving from a K6-2 500 to a Duron 1GHZ.

I booted the PC in SAFE mode, uninstalled all the drivers ( VGA, network, Sound ) & reinstalled everything once I rebooted.

I have to admit that the PC was still slugish until I did a full OS reinstall.

Patching it up for the moment will work.

12. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Yip! If its Windows 98 as you say, then Didou's instructions here are just fine....

Of course, a clean install would be best, but if you are dead set against that, then the above instructions should be fine, unless you are very unlucky....
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.