Upgrading my motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boins

Hi there everyone,

hope everyones well.

I'm going to be upgrading my motherboard this week, I'm tired of this one crapping out etc etc, and really, just want to be able to upgrade both the graphics card, and the motherboard to have a faster computer that'll help me to play games (and therefore in the future earn a degree in Games Design..........heh the logic works in my head)

my only concern is that I'm going to spend a bucket load of money on a system and then find out my current parts won't work

the mother board I am going to be getting is this

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage?MBB-M2422

coupled with this GFX card

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-86GT

my first concern is that I've seen I'll need a "PCI express compatible Power Supply" I'm stumped, I don't know if I have one or not.

this is the PSU I have got in there at the moment, it came with the case.

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=849&category_id=264&manufacturer_id=0

and my second concern is that I have one SATA drive, and TWO IDE drives, I'm intending to make the SATA my primary drive with Windows on it etc.

(previously I havent' been able to install windows on my SATA due to an out of date BIOS, and I wasn't about to risk destroying my computer to get it workign right.)

will this work?

any help on this would be much appreciated.

ta very much

(p.s i've just seen this in the user reviews "My package contained a 20 to 24 pin power convertor which I needed but didnt realise it included" I have a 20 pin PSU does this mean that if I get this adapter, all will be hunky dory?

and pps.....does this motherboard actually come with a CPU processor, I've just noticed it only says compatible processors......I'm confused......so confused........)

The CPU, memory and mobo combo look just fine and so does the gfx card. Toss out that power supply, unless you like BSOD's. Look for either Antec, FSP or Enermax power supplies. They will be more expansive but are of much higher quality and will have the watts and amps (often overlooked) required to run your system.

thank you!

I'm gonna be getting a new PSU next pay day, this one sounds like a vacuum cleaner, but do you reckon that it will hold out till then?

It might but I wouldn't use it. If it goes out, it could take out other components.

i'd go for a bigger one mate tbh. Modulars are good, but if you get a decent make then go for a minimum of 500w for future proofing. Your system may not need 500w, but higher wattage psu's regulate power better when its not being pushed hard.
Antec are decent make, just go bigger.

thanks for the help guys, i ended up with the motherboard and GFX and a 530w silent psu, everythings running brilliantly...apart from my HDD which I'm gonna have to replace now, but still all my games on full spec.
HOORAY!!!

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back