Upgrading my pc, question regarding compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narey

For once i come here without a problem! yet..
my pc has been messing me about for the past few years and ive decided that some of the stuff inside it which is about... 4-5? years old should probalby go
(including a processor that no matter what fan you strap on will never be cooler then 60C)

OK, this is what i have at the moment and what i want to keep:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800+, 2250 MHz
Motherboard: PCChips M84A (motherboard chipset Sis 748)?
RAM: 3x 1 GB DDR 400 KEEP
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 7800GS (512 MB) (Gainward) KEEP

the rest is hardrives and DVD RW and stuff which I THINK are compatable on everything?

What im wondering is if it is possible to upgrade my processor to:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132142

I know this would mean getting a new motherboard which im not worried about. what i am worried about is does this mean i need a new graphics card? Because i would quite like to avoid having to do that. Can anyone recomend me a motherboard or a solution?

is the graphics card PCIe or AGP looking at the age of the system im assuming AGP 8x perhaps

i've found boards to run DDR400 but they aren't up to par, and they are old sockets like AMD socket A and intel socket 478, selling for around 100USD which is ridiculous for such an old board. so you might want new RAM, a new CPU, and Mobo. the graphics card if it's AGP isn't the best and i would recommend an upgrade if your buying parts anyway. I'm have yet to upgrade to PCIe because of money, but when i buy my Radeon HD2600 im not buying it in AGP even though its the same price.

the graphics card is fairly new but yes its AGP 8x as it had to fit in with the rest of the system (i think)

okay well, you could keep the card but as i said before i would upgrade to PCIe but that card will work for you now, as for the RAM unless you want to run your Athlon XP for a little longer you will need to upgrade he RAM too

And i take it your in the UK, i just looked at the link in your first post. that is an awesome CPU you could upgrade to it but you will need to upgrade ram and mobo

damn new ram as well :( its quite new aswell
ah well
can you reccomend me a motherboard that will be compatable with both the processor and the graphics card? (from ebuyer.com preferably)
thanks alot for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back