TechSpot

Upgrading old Motherboard need good advice!

By DkA98
Dec 13, 2006
  1. Hi!

I recently get this used computer for US $25.00 at a yard sale. The reason why I got this machine was the Motherboard. I friend of mine owns one and I think is a very good choice and for that price, I don't think you can get anything better.

The computer motherboard is an Azus A7V8X-X. I got it with 1.2 Ghz Athlon XP Processor 512 Mb RAM PC2700/ 40 Gb HD/ Sony 52x32x52 CD-R & 64 Mb Nvidia MX 400 Video card.

For me this going to be my lab testing machine. I've been using it for several months now and I think for being an old computer runs very fast. I put some extra memory ( a 256 Mb DDR 400 Dim and a 128 Mb DDR 333 Dim) and another 40 Gb HD. I know I shouldn't mix different types on memory on it but works fine.

I'm thinking on putting a 2.8 Ghz processor and 3 Gbs of RAM cause I want to used it for lab testing programs like Vmware and Virtual PC.

My questions is, for those who know this motherboard.

It's it worth it to upgrade to a faster processor and add more memory?

And keep in mind that I got this computer for just $25.00 US dollars.

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

The fastest you can get for that is a Barton 3200+, and you probably can't get that up to 2.8, but at 2.2 it should be plenty fast.

Here is a bit about your board.

3. Vis Major

Vis Major TS Rookie

Wow $25?

Thats nearly the SAME PC I'm using right now for EVERYTHING!

Gaming, Photoshoping, ... everything.

$25? I guess I might as well forget about selling it. Lol!

(this is why I'm off to buy a new PC todayish)

-VMX

4. DkA98

DkA98 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks!

Thanks for the advise!!!

And I'm thinking about upgrading it anyways, it's kind of old but it's performance it's what I like the most...

Regards,

DkA

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.