TechSpot

Upgrading psu and video, question on psu..

By xqwizit
Jul 20, 2007
  1. Hello all,

I am going to be upgrading the psu and video (planning a EVGA 8800GTS).

As far as the psu, I have noticed that the motherboard has a 24 pin connector, but the factory psu only has 20 pins connected to it. When I upgrade, should I only plug the 20 pins back in, or 24?

Thank you all for any input!

2. rickhoang

rickhoang TS Rookie

I have the same graphic card as yours but made by Gigabyte. The manual said at least PSU 400W is capable of running this card and i'm saying here is pure power. So make sure you buy a good quality psu. For the pins, i guess i leave for the other to answer, i'm not so sure myself.

3. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 743

get a 24-pin psu mate. You'll want and need the power for running such a card.

4. xqwizit

xqwizit TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok, so its just a matter of power supplied with the 20 vs. 24 pin connector ? So theres not really any reason why the factory had to use a 20 instead of a 24 pin on the motherboard other than it just being a cheap psu ?

5. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 743

Lol, yup! Bless em eh?

6. xqwizit

And yet another reason why I should have just built my own..

Thank you!

7. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

If there's no space for the pins or there is a 20-pin-only connector present, you can't plug in more than 20 pins into the motherboard. Most new PSUs come with a 20+4 pin connector, with a detachable 4-pin part, so no need to worry.

8. xqwizit

There is actually a 24 pin on the motherboard, but only 20 pins plugged into it from the psu, thats what had me confused..

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.