Upgrading psu and video, question on psu..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am going to be upgrading the psu and video (planning a EVGA 8800GTS).

As far as the psu, I have noticed that the motherboard has a 24 pin connector, but the factory psu only has 20 pins connected to it. When I upgrade, should I only plug the 20 pins back in, or 24?

Thank you all for any input!

I have the same graphic card as yours but made by Gigabyte. The manual said at least PSU 400W is capable of running this card and i'm saying here is pure power. So make sure you buy a good quality psu. For the pins, i guess i leave for the other to answer, i'm not so sure myself.

Ok, so its just a matter of power supplied with the 20 vs. 24 pin connector ? So theres not really any reason why the factory had to use a 20 instead of a 24 pin on the motherboard other than it just being a cheap psu ?

xqwizit said:
Ok, so its just a matter of power supplied with the 20 vs. 24 pin connector ? So theres not really any reason why the factory had to use a 20 instead of a 24 pin on the motherboard other than it just being a cheap psu ?

Lol, yup! Bless em eh?

If there's no space for the pins or there is a 20-pin-only connector present, you can't plug in more than 20 pins into the motherboard. Most new PSUs come with a 20+4 pin connector, with a detachable 4-pin part, so no need to worry.

There is actually a 24 pin on the motherboard, but only 20 pins plugged into it from the psu, thats what had me confused..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back