Upgrading PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm upgrading my gfx card to a Radeon x1650 pro and I don't believe my PSU is strong enough to run it. The last card I had burnt out and the PC wouldnt power on until it was removed so I think that was the problem.

I'm on an Emachine T3256 and I was wondering if there is any specific PSU I needed to buy or is it one size fits all?

Sunbeam PSU-BKS-480-US ATX12V 480W Power Supply 100 - 240 V I was looking at this once since I'm on a budget right now, but if I order that one, will I be able to put it in? (Sorry I can't post links yet.) It has good reviews but again I don't know if it will fit in my machine.

Thank you.

Well this thread is somewhat borderline.

Generally one size fits all, and I would recommend a 500W PSU with two 12V Rails. (Sorry I'm to lazy to get you a link.)

Apevia (formerly Aspire) is a bad brand for power supplies.
The manufacturer is VERY important for your power supply, as this is a critical component and must provide reliable power.

Reliable PSU manufacturers include Antec, Cooler Master, OCZ (and PC Power & Cooling), FSP, Thermaltake, Enermax, Seasonic, Corsair, etc.

As for your question about compatibility, the only spec you have to look for to find out if the PSU works with your system is the form factor. Most desktop computers use the ATX form factor which makes this part easy.

Just like how CPU power can no longer be judged by clock speed, a power supply's performance can no longer be judged by wattage. The amperage on the +12V rail(s) are just as important, so be sure to select one that meets requirements.

See the excellent power supply list in this forum, and get the best one from the list that you can afford.
You need a 500 watt power supply with steady, level output. There are probably 50 that will do what you need...
The ones I would choose to avoid spending a lot of money foolishly, while still getting an excellent power supply are: Seasonic, FSP or FSP group, Thermaltake. You will spend a lot for PCPower and cooling, OCZ, and Corsair, and not get anything better.
However, you potentially have another problem brewing. That model of eMachines (T-3256) is one with a very high failure rate. When the motherboard fails, it frequently destroys the power supply.
I would put my money into a better computer than the eMachine.

Well I really don't want to spend more then 30 for a PSU at this point which might seem stupid. I understand E-machine isin't the greatest PC company but it's all I have to work with right now.

Could you show me one around 30-40 dollars?

There is no power supply worth a damn for $30... but these are ok in an eMachine: You will find them at www.directron.com, a good place with quick shipping:
FSP Group 350W ATX-350PA $25.99
Silver Coolmax 300 300 Watt $31.50
Thermaltake 400W Litpower $39.99
Enermax 330W EG351P $34.99
Enermax 300 EG301 PVB $34.99
Antec Basiq 350W $32.99
The FSP Group 300 Watt FTS FSP300-60GLN $39.99
KDM Nickel 480 Watt $42.99

If it were mine, I would also look for Sparkle... perfect, and low priced.
Otherwise, we like the FSP group by far the best.
There are other suppliers of course, but www.directron.com has the largest supply of power supplies I have seen, and a number under $50 that are decent.

The CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Pro 500W PSU is available for cheap on Directron and Newegg and would be your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back