TechSpot

Upgrading RAM question

By dreamtildead
Oct 13, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Dell XPS410 and Im about to upgrade the ram.. I believe its DDR2 because it was purchased a while ago. Im not sure how to tell if its DDR2 or not.. anyway my question is even if it currently has DDR2 ram can I upgrade it to DDR3? I thought they were the same pin count.. any help would be great. thanks

also - how do I tell what kind of ram it is?
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,432   +218

No, you can't upgrade to DDR3 from DDR2. The pin count might be the same but the notch in the DIMM slot is in a different position so it won't physically fit.

Use the freeware CPU-Z to determine your RAM type.
  3. dreamtildead

dreamtildead TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok so ive narrowed it down between two different kinds.. they both show the same specs but one is cheaper theyre between corsair and pny..
    also when I upgrade I heard that I should swap all the ram sticks out because the pc reads the slowest of them all?...

pny version:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...178235&cm_re=ddr2_1066-_-20-178-235-_-Product

corsair version:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...145215&cm_re=ddr2_1066-_-20-145-215-_-Product

are these pretty much the same or is the corsair one worth the extra money?
  4. Kellie Dobbie

Kellie Dobbie TS Rookie

It looks like you can't or doesn't want to overclock your RAM, and between the two, there's not a whole lot of difference except price so I would go for the cheaper one.
  5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,827   +163

The PNY memory listed should work fine, as long as the motherboard supports PC2 8500 memory

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.