Upgrading RAM - Won't POST - Need to OC?

By ComputerGuy55
Apr 25, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, so I am fairly tech savvy but mostly with software. I've built my own computers so I'm quite comfortable inside the computer and also inside the BIOS. However, what I am not comfortable with and part of the reason I am here is Overclocking.

To generalize my issue: I bought more RAM, I currently have 8GB Kit (4GBx2 1600MHz) and I bought a second 8GB Kit 1600MHz as well, Kingston Hyper X stuff for both sets, with the new Kit installed my computer will not POST.

Other Specs:
    MB - P67A-C45 (B3) (

CPU - Intel i7 2600k 3.4GHz

GPU - nVidia GTX 980

PSU - 750W CoolerMaster

I installed the new RAM kit, and the computer powers ON but does not POST. It turns on for about 5s then off (No beeps) but clearly the RAM is causing an issue.

I removed the RAM and tested my board again with the original setup, POST's fine. So I installed the new set again (thinking maybe one didn't click in properly) does not POST. Then I removed the stick in DIMM 4 and it booted... so I removed DIMM 2 and put back DIMM 4 and it wouldn't boot.

Immediately I thought I had a faulty board/DIMM Slot, however, I removed the new sets of RAM, moved my original set from DIMM1/DIMM3 into DIMM2/DIMM4 and it booted fine, put the new sticks in and it wouldn't post. Each set will post when separate (1 Kit at a time) but with both kits in it will not.

So, my motherboard states in the Specifications (Link given above) to support 32GB of RAM. What I noticed, however, was that it says it supports "DDR3 1066/1333/1600*/2133*(OC)", and I also noticed in the BIOS that my RAM is being clocked down to 1333. I am wondering if this could be causing my issue with the no POST, and what I can do to resolve it. From the look of the Specs sheet it seems I have to overclock to be able to get the 1600MHz speed on my board, I have all the options available to OC but I have never done it and do not feel comfortable making these changes alone and was hoping someone on here could step me through what's needed to be done.

If I am missing any information I do apologize, just ask and ye shall receive!
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. Win8Disaster

Win8Disaster TS Rookie

I believe it's just a case of setting the XMP to 1600. The turn to 1333 is for compatibility, to make sure that things will work. It is however, also why many run with 1333, when their RAM is clocked higher.
  3. ComputerGuy55

ComputerGuy55 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 380   +8

Well, I want to make sure it is safe to OC to 1600, and what exactly I need to do, I remember seeing an XMP setting but I'd need more step by step instructions to ensure I am doing it right as I believe I need to unlock it (it's set to Auto, have the choice of Linked and Unlinked) forget exactly what the options called I'll have a look a bit later.
  4. ComputerGuy55

No one has any ideas how to help resolve my issue? I have not tried anything since posting this. Was hoping someone could shed some light on the issue.
  5. Brent062891

Brent062891 TS Rookie

I'm no expert, but I think it's safe to OC your ram to 1600 (especially if its rated to be at 1600). I have Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133 mhz RAMs, and when I first inserted it to my pc, it's clocked down to 1600 which is probably it's default, and I need to clocked it up to 2133mhz using XMP.
  6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

First, we NEVER need to OC.

Second, while a stick of ram may be rated at 1333, it does not require this frequency.
    "DDR3 1066/1333/1600*/2133*(OC)" for the mother board are the valid choices and the system will run fine at any one of them.

Running 'natively' (ie unmodified) is the safe and reliable setup. *IF* you have problems w/o the OC, then solve them first before venturing into the hyperspace of OC
    Tmagic650 likes this.
  7. ComputerGuy55

So, any suggestions as to what I should then try?

I seem to be out of ideas myself. The sticks all work fine by themselves, the kits work by themselves but not together.. I was thinking of turning off dual-channel mode as maybe there's a problem with that but I am really unsure at this point

I have not even attempted anything with the RAM since first purchasing and attempting to install the RAM. Been way too busy lately, its been working fine on 8GB but would love to get it up to 16GB, seeing as I have already purchased it :)

Any ideas?
  8. Brent062891

Brent062891 TS Rookie

You said that your old RAMs are underclocked to 1333mhz. Have you checked if your new RAMs are also downclocked to 1333mhz by default?

I think your old RAMs are at 1333mhz and your new RAMs are at 1600mhz at default. They need to be at the same freq.

If I were you, this is what I would do. Again, I'm no expert on this.
    1. Put your old RAMs check if it is at 1333mhz
    2. Remove your old RAMs, put your new ones, check if their at 1333mhz, if not, downclock them to 1333mhz.
    3. Put your old RAMs again.
  9. ComputerGuy55

Both show as 1333mhz. Anyways, would this cause my problem:

I noticed that on my old set it is CL9, new ram is CL10, I know the CL# is to do with latency, can this cause my issue?? If so, do you think buying an identical set of the CL10 and trying them together would allow me to use the 16GB properly?

Even if it doesn't for what ever reason, I can return one or both sets for a refund. I am going to try and remember to run Memtest+ for a couple passes later today and see what happens.
  10. Brent062891

Brent062891 TS Rookie

Yup, I think they should be the same. Also, have you checked your bios, my friend told me that he also experienced this type of problem, and his bios has something like an automatic adjustment for the rams, he just turned it on, and problem solved.

I'm not entirely confident of changing the CL (although I know they should be the same), but if you ever decide to change it, change the lower one to match the higher one, I.e. CL9 to CL10 rather than CL10 to CL9.
  11. ComputerGuy55

My MOBO automatically adjusts for the RAm as well, this is why I believe even though my RAM says 1600 its being clocked down to 1333.

As for the Latency timers, I am not quite sure how to adjust that in the BIOS either. I have done very little in the ways of OC/Changing voltages or anything of the such. I may just purchase a second set of the stuff and test that before doing anything else.