Upgrading Ram

By Boxy Brown
May 19, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I need to upgrade my RAM, I currently only have 512mb and I would like to max it to 2gb which is the maximum my PC can hold. But I don't know if there is a certain kind I have to buy so that it will work in my PC, if ther is please tell me, and please recomend some good brands. I have a Sony Vaio model number PCV-1154. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. HUNGLONGBANGLON

HUNGLONGBANGLON Newcomer, in training

Little Help...

First off, you have to see how many slots for Ram your cpu has i.e. (4 slots x 4 sticks 512mb ram = 2 GB ) Most likely, you have two slots since your pc maxes out on 2 GB. The most important part about buying ram is to get the same brand (don't mix and match) + make sure the mhrz i.e. 400 are the same. If you mix say a 333 meg and a 400 meg stick the cpu might say that you are running 750 meg but in actuality the cpu won't recognize but one of the sticks (the higher 400 meg). I would recommend getting two sticks, 1 Gig each, same brand, and definately same mhrz (400 or higher)...(My opinion though)

-Dave-
  3. Boxy Brown

Boxy Brown Topic Starter

Ok thanks. I'm just goona buy 2 1 gig sticks like you said, it only has 2 slots available. Thanks again.
  4. HUNGLONGBANGLON

HUNGLONGBANGLON Newcomer, in training

No Prob

Just remember what I said (VERY IMPORTANT) both stick must be same brand and same speed i.e. 2 sticks both 1 gig each and both same brand name... You'll be set. as for the 512, keep or sell it, or give it away...
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.