TechSpot

Upgrading seriously old geforce4 mx420 to 6600

By Brodude
Jun 15, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What's up, guys. My computer hasn't had any upgrades since I got it, and I seriously need a new graphics card, because, you guessed it, I'm a gamer. Pretty much the last game I can play is WoW, which is pretty low end. I have a GeForce4 MX 420 card, and I'm thinking about getting a Geforce 6600. I just tried a Radeon 9250, which i later found out wasn't a very good card, but I wouldn't know. It had an error where the monitor wouldn't recieve a signal from it. After hours of mulling over threads that others with the same problem created, I still couldn't get it to work, so I'm sending it back. I decided to try again, but stick with nvidia this time. Can anyone give me an opinion on whether or not I might have the same problem with a 6600? If you need to know anything else, just ask me.
  2. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,198

I hope you are getting a 6600GT versus a plain 6600.. I'd recommend the barebones minimum to upgrade these days would be a 6600GT.

You may or may not encounter the same problem as we have no idea why your 9250 had this issue. If it was simply a defective unit, then chances are good you'll get a properly functioning 6600GT and problem solved.

The biggest concerns you have would involve three possible issues:
    1) Do you have an AGP slot? Were your prior cards AGP or PCI? Does your system even have an AGP slot? The 6600-series only comes in AGP slot-variety.
    2) Power. Newer, more powerful videocards do require a bit more draw from the power supply. If you have inadequate power, this could result in the system not booting or yielding flakey/unstable behavior. I'd recommend a good quality 250W-350W power supply or better.
    3) Cooling. A powerhouse 3d card can generate more heat as well as tax your CPU/memory more, so it's important your case has adequate ventilation and cooling.

Good luck!
  3. Brodude

Brodude TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have 4x AGP, and from what I've read, most 8x cards don't have any problem with that, and ventilation won't be a problem, but the power supply could be. I use a Dell Dimension 4550. Any tips on how to check what kind of power supply it's packing?
  4. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,198

The only real way is to crack the case and have a look at the PSU directly. It will have a sticker on the side listing it's maximum wattage rating and possibly some voltage rail information. I'd be concerned with:
    1) It's wattage rating.
    2) (optional) Any amperage rating listed for 6v/12v on the sticker.
  5. Brodude

Brodude TS Rookie Topic Starter

Its max output power is 250W, and I couldn't remember what the other thing you said to look for was while the computer was off, but if it's still needed, I'll look at it and repost when I have a bit more time. Right now I'm crunching to find out what I can before I head to my brother's. Thanks for all your help. See yeh in a few.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.