Upgrading Single Channel RAM In A Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

A buddy of mine just got a free computer to put in his shop and I've been doing some work on it for him. The system itself is a Dell build but it's not too bad; he only needs it for certain things like surfing the web, listening to music/videos, ripping and burning CD's etc... I told him that he should let me upgrade the RAM since the system is lacking badly, only 256MB DDR2 (single channel). I recommended at least a gig of DDR2 since it's so inexpensive.

My question is; since RAM is really not my thing, is it possible to upgrade the memory in this thing to faster dual channel modules or is he stuck with the snail RAM? I ran CPU-Z and got the specs on the RAM, 133mhz or something. I'd like to hook him up with a decent pair of PC2 4200 sticks or something but I don't know if they're compatible with the board. The system does use a socket LGA775 processor so would I be okay with any kind of DDR2 memory, single or dual channel? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

" I ran CPU-Z and got the specs on the RAM, 133mhz or something."

You ARE kidding aren't you? Either it is 133 or it isn't.

Why not go to the Dell site and use the computer service tag and get the real deal on what you have and can add?

Alright man you don't have to get all bent out of shape, just lookin for some advice. I've already been to Dell's site and the forum but I haven't found much. I'm gonna have to call him up and get the exact model of the computer because it's an older system; like an '04 or so. After I get the series information, I'll try to pin point what RAM I can get, sorry to ruin your day.

LoL - you cannot ruin my day! You can make volunteering help a pain in the scrotal area though.

You have been around long enough to know what to post when asking for help.

Man!

:)

I think you need to go out and get some fresh air... and no one is forcing you to help anybody so if you don't feel like volunteering any help that's fine by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back