Upgrading usb 1.1 to usb 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrispudge

are these usb drives just like plug and play, if i buy usb 2.0 to put into my computer i can just add it to my mobo without any software or nething?

I assume you are getting a PCI card. You'll get drivers with it which have to be loaded. Then they work the same only faster.

We Have Some Of These Asus Usb Laying Around Here At Work Brand New...they Use A Pci Slot But Donot Plug Into The Pci Slot It Should Plug Into The Mobo Usb Slot But Im Not Sure If I Need Drivers For These Or R They Just Plug And Play..i forgot to say that this computer is about 5-6 yrs old so motherboard is pretty old, should i just go out and buy a new PCI usb card or use this one i have?

If your motherboard does not support USB 2.0, then adding a USB adapter that uses one of the headers on the motherboard will not give you USB 2.0.

In order to get 2.0 support you'll have to get a PCI card that connects to the PCI slot and has ports on the back of it.

Also, I think you'd need Windows SP2 update for it to work. Please advice on how to get it to work without SP2, for I am too lazy to update it (huge download, don't talk to me about buying the CD) and I'm still living in the stone age USB 1.1.

CMH said:
Also, I think you'd need Windows SP2 update for it to work. Please advice on how to get it to work without SP2, for I am too lazy to update it (huge download, don't talk to me about buying the CD) and I'm still living in the stone age USB 1.1.
I don't know how or where stuff like this originates. But USB 2.0 will work perfectly fine under XP, XPSP1, and XPSP2.

doesn't work for me. And yes, I know when I'm plugging in a USB2.0 item.

Anyway, I don't really bother too much with this, I hardly plug USB devices in my comp (MX500, printer... maybe the occational 256mb stick...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back