Upgrading video card, but no Screen Please help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, im new here so excuse my newbie on this forum. I have a huge frustrating problem with my Computer. Ok first of all I got Compaq presario S4000nx desktop computer and it has the old Intel graphic card on it. Computer is 2.4 GHz with 502 MB of ram. I just purchased a brand new Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 graphic card which is PCI, i dont have any AGP or PCI-E. So Theres already a Smart card in one of the PCI slots, i dont know what that is but its just sitting there and has socket at the end. 2 other slots left. First i changed BIOS to PCI from onboard, then uninstalled the Graphic controller, under device manager, device adapter. Turn off computer, put the Nvidia in one slot, turn on computer and heres the part, it make some beeps and no screen at all, tried all of the slots, but still nothing, tried everything i could think of, even update BIOS from 3.21 to 3.24. But no luck. Is there something wrong with this computer? The thing about this motherboard is that the graphic card is installed on the motherboard and you cant take it out. The blue socket that you insert the monitor plug installed on the motherboard and when putting the new card in, plugged to the new card, nothing, took the card out and plugged to the old one, worked fine. Please anyone can help me out here. I am really frustrated at this issue. Thanks a lot.

i dont have any AGP or PCI-E
So you can't put in an AGP or PCI-E Video card

Your System:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...815&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=329399&lang=en

Your Video card
NVIDIA e-GeForce FX 5500 256 MB, 128 bit DDR AGP 8X VGA/DVI/TV Video Card

How to install the Video card (but you don't have AGP!)
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=329399&dlc=en&lang=en

Please do not write a big paragraph.
Instead use point form
Or just write the problem
Then ask the question

Kimsland, the GeForce FX 5500 comes in PCI version as well I believe.

Try taking out all other PCI devices temporarily and then reseating the new VPU in another slot.

Thats correct, i got another AGP video card that didnt work, but this one is PCI. Thanks for the link "kimsland", but i already read through all of that before. Even contacted Compaq but they told me i have to renew my warranty in order for them to be able to help me :(
then reseating the new VPU in another slot.
What do you mean by that, i should say i took off that smart card and there was nothing left in PCI slots, put the Nvidia and still nothing. Is posting a photo of my motherboard will help. If yes i can do that as well. I tried lots of diff solution but nothing will work.

i had a similar problem. if you are getting the three beeps, or any beep when rebooting that means there is a issue with the card being installed. possibly incompatible with your system OR you may have a bad card. i ran into something similar recently when upgrading to a new vid card and had onboard graphics. i went through what you went through with disabling stuff on the bios, but most video cards i know of should do that for you on restart. i was informed to go to device manager and disable on board graphics, shutdown, install new card, then restart with the monitor connected to the new video card. i had to send my card back to newegg and get a new one. turned out it was the card although i didnt get a beep so it could be your card is seated incorrectly on the mobo. anything other than that i think we'd have to have a pic of your mobo to further diagnose.

Try another card, preferably a Radeon, since your board might have problems with the current card. I've seen another board that has issues with PCI Radeons but works perfectly with NVIDIA ones so yours might be the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back