TechSpot

upgrading video card--mobo

By maxbb1
Jan 25, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. well i needa better video card for my pc cos it is crappy 64mb integrated *extreme* graphics and i am not sure what kind of card my mobo takes (i am not even sure if it has a slot for one....) i have a *Gigabyte GA-8I865GVMK*

help would be muchly appreciated ty in advance

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

It looks like your motherboard only has PCI slots, no AGP slot. That is going to limit your choices. There are some decent PCI cards out there but they're not very common. A few cards you can get would be the Nvidia Geforce 5500 or 5700 or an ATi 9250. Not exactly top performers but should be better than what you have now.

3. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

Yes, it seems your board only supports pci cards.
    Here's the best pci card I know of, geforce 6200.
    http://www.chumbo.com/Info.aspx?id=304966
    You might want to check your power supply to make sure you have enough power for the upgrade first though.

4. maxbb1

maxbb1 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 63

god to know but i only want a pretty cheap card due to my minimal budget..

5. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

Just so you know, a cheap pci card may not be any better than your integrated graphics.

A fx5200 or ati 9250 (both with 128bit memory interfaces), would be about as low as you should go. Here's a decent card for a little less.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133134

That's about the cheapest you can get a pci card that's somewhat acceptable.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.