Uprading a Dell XPS M1530 from Vista to 10..can it be done?

Hi all,

am looking to upgrrade my XPS M1530 (still going strong minus battery). Does anyone know if its possible? and / or if I can do it free? I.e. downloading 7 or 8.1 then upgrading?

Cheers

T

There's a good chance you can. Windows 7 will usually work fine with Vista drivers and most computers running Windows 7 will cope with Windows 10. You'd have to pay for W7 though. Your laptop has the dreaded nVidia 8400/8600 range of graphics chip. It's amazing that this hasn't given you any problems. I'd think carefully before spending money on an upgrade.

I know the laptop is nearly 10 years old now! But still going strong.. actually its probably still more powerful then most "normal" laptops. Thanks for your reply! - I wasnt going to be spending any money but see if I can get a trial / free Windows 7 or 8.1 version and then upgrade it to 10 for free. :)

I absolutely agree with how older kit can still work well. My laptop originally ran Vista and had the 8400 chip - which failed. The graphics chip was professionally replaced with an updated version and the latop is working great with Windows 10. It's certainly possible that you will be able to get the free upgrade to Windows 10 from a "free" copy of Windows 7/8.1. Please post back how it goes.

Back