Uprgarding Ram Simple questiong

Status
Not open for further replies.

cm1286

I have 1G(2x512) value select pc 3200 corsair ram could I add another gig of xms pc 3200? My mobo is a Asus P4P800SE in case it helps

it will probably work fine, but I wouldn't recommend mixing different RAM sticks (they are the same brand, but the timings are different)

you might as well just get another gig of Value Ram. If it does work, then you the XMS will be limited by the performance of the ValueRam which cancels out the benifits of it.

very few PC users need more than 1GB of RAM (most don't even come close to using it all). what will you be doing that will require 2GB RAM anyways?

you should not have any problems running the two. although having the same memory is considered the optimal set up. and ALL the memory will run at the settings of the slowest modules which means you will receive no benefit at all from the XMS modules more aggresive timings so why pay more?

to answer cody

I have a buddy who is a film major he uses my comp to do a lot of film editing on this uses roughly 80% of my ram so if i go to do anything else its really slow or i just crash one of the two kinda annoying so I figure another gig will help

bottom line is... if you want 2GB of RAM, then you should either simply buy another 2 512MB value selct RAM sticks to match the ones you have already, or buy 2GB of XMS RAM sticks and sell your value select. adding XMS to your value select will give you no performance boost, it will just give you more total RAM. either way dont mix them, as you may also lose dual channel support (depending on the mobo)

CrossFire851 said:
when are going to get the same preformance with the value select.
what?? :haha:

cm1286 said:
I would get dual core but um somebody was dumn and bought a socket 478 motherboard :(
that doesn't mean that you're stuck with it? maybe you're money would be better invested in a new CPU/mobo instead of more RAM

you can still get good money for socket478 hardware on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back