Uprgrading a lower end system's chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevorLClan

I have a computer set up in my room thats not the greatest thing arround...1gb ram, 128mb graphics card, 40 gb hard drive, and a 1.5 ghz cpu. I recently got a 2.26ghz p 4 that i want to upgrade to...but when i plug it in and turn it on it just gradually brightens up to a dark blue or navy color screen and just sits there...no text or anything... HELP PLEASE...i would really like to get it a little faster so i can play some games on it. And this isnt like a newb question necessarily. I put the heatsink on along with some grease and plugged the fan in...its exactly set up the way my 1.5 p4 is, it just wont do anything...and ive tried it on two systems and does the same thing.

Sounds like your mobo doesnt support the newer processor.

You could try clearing the cmos (refer to the mobo manual for that) but I doubt it will make a difference, but you wont know until you try.

bummer deal...i dont have the manual...its an older computer and was bought (found out recently) from a shop who deals most stuff illegaly...we didnt get any manuals with it...no xp disc, no anything.

is there like a general method to it...cuz i might just buy a new mobo and plop it in...but if i can get this to work for the time being it would be cool

You can locate and remove the bios battery for a few minutes while the pc is unplugged from the mains supply then re-fit the battery. There's no guarantee it will help tho and you will have to re-configure the bios if it works or not.

I take it you are also buying a new processor too? That mobo is for an lga775 and if the 2.26ghz cpu fits into your current mobo then i very much doubt it will fit into the new mobo. I may be wrong tho, i'm no expert on intel cpu's as im an amd man.

Do not buy that mobo unless you're planning to buy a new CPU as well. From the looks of it, you have a Socket 478-based motherboard ATM and so your new CPU is of the same sort. It won't fit into the motherboard you plan on buying.
First things first, use Everest Home Edition or SIW (Google for them) and post your motherboard model and manufacturer name here. Or, if you want to do it yourself, go to the motherboard manufacturer's site, once you have that info, and search for your motherboard model. Download the latest BIOS update and use it to update your BIOS to the latest version, following any instructions (included with the update or on the website) precisely. Then try installing your new CPU.

If you go the new motherboard and cpu route, you are going to need a windows disc and key. Keep that in consideration as well. Is your computer a custom build? If so, can you open it up and find out what kind of motherboard you have? You may just need a bios update to accept the new processor.

its a compaq, kinda old one...it may be custom built (it came from a crap store) but i dont know. Id rather just buy a new mobo and proc.

but why will i need to get the windows cd and key out...its on the harddrive
its not that hard, but just woundering

Compaq windows installation is only for use on a compaq pc. You will definately need a new cd and key.

also, when you replace the motherboard, windows doesn't like it and causes problems. The best solution to that is a clean install of windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back