TechSpot

UPS problem in XP Pro

By xenohawk
May 24, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've just got a PK Blackout Buster UPS and hook it up to my system. The UPS is already at full charge and the UPS did work in normal command prompt mode and safe mode in Win XP. But whenever I've entered the normal WinXP Pro state the UPS can only stand for a second or two then restart the machine . Anyone know how to go around with this?
    I've tested and confirm this over and over again in safe mode ok, in normal window mode problem.

Anyway the UPS is connected to my 15" NEC monitor and my system unit.

System Unit Specs:

300W Enlight PSU
    AMD Athlon ThunderBird 1.33Ghz
    ASUS A7V133-C Motherboard
    512Mb PC133 SDRAM
    10.0 Gb 5400RPM Maxtor HDD
    20.0 Gb 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda II HDD
    Leadtek Winfast Titanium TH
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
    ASUS DVD 16x
    LiteON 12x10x32
    1 GlobalWin WBK38 HSF
    4 80mm Sunon Case fan

2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

Are you sure the UPS is sufficiently sized to handle the system? I have one here connected to a couple of old machines that is just enough to give me time to shut them down.

Ok, that was kind of obvious, but it doesn't hurt to cover everything. You might want to check the Windows update site. I remember seeing something there about an UPS problem though I can't remember if it was critical or recommended so you might want to check out all the available updates to find it. Also check your UPS settings in Power Options.

Those are pretty much basic things. So you may have already checked all that.

3. xenohawk

xenohawk TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yup...I'm sure it can handle my system. The UPS is rated at 600VA and I'm sure it was running in the safe mode for quite some time.

Tried download the UPS update from windows update but it does not fixed my problem. Still having the same problem, no prob on safe mode but problem on normal mode.

I've tried the UPS software (MonUPS), tried the windows Generic driver for UPS, tried changing it settings, reverse the polarity. And I think my system are receiving quite number of hard reboot torture due to testing. :(

4. StormBringer

Ok, You should have done this, in this order. Applied the UPS update patch for XP, removed the UPS and drivers from the system, then set the UPS back up.

Since you say it works in "Safe mode", this makes me think it has insufficient Power to run the entire system. In "Safe mode" much of the system is disabled, therefore it doesn't require as much Power. If the unit is rated at sufficient power to run the system, then it could be a faulty unit.

600V A?

What is the output of the unit? Voltage(VAC), Wattage(W or P), and Current(C or Amp).

5. xenohawk

Ok this is the full spec for my UPS:

Input Voltage Nominal: 230V AC
    Input Frequency Nominal: 50 Hz
    Input Current: 2.6A
    Output Voltage: 230V AC
    Output Frequency: 50 Hz
    Output Current: 2.6A
    Output VA: 600VA

I live in Malaysia so the output voltage to my house is 230V AC.

Thanks for your concern and help. :)
    If you think it is faulthy then I have to bring this unit to the nearest service center.

6. StormBringer

If you have a multimeter, you need to test the output of the unit to see if it matches the rating. If the numbers are within 10% that's ok.

There is still a good chance that it could be software related. It could be that something is conflicting with it and causing it not to work.

We know it works in safe mode, so the only variables we have between safe mode and normal boot are the required resources. This includes the devices and drivers that are disabled in safe mode. This is either too much load for the unit, which means it may be faulty, or it could be a system file conflict.

Testing the actual output values of voltage and current will eliminate one possibility.

7. xenohawk

Ok....I will test the unit with a multimeter soon. I don't have one currently, so I will have to borrow it from someone.

Btw, the unit did not hooked to my pc at first just only the power supply to the system. Dosen't have serial port connection to pc yet at that time as I didn't think it was nessecary. After I had the first blackout at my place and the unit just restarted my windows like that I had it connected to the pc and installed the software to monitor it hopping that it will fix the restart problem.

8. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Are you sure UPS service & power management are set up correctly?

9. StormBringer

I covered that in my first reply. It should have been one of the first things he checked.

10. xenohawk

Is there any third party software to monitor UPS? Battery condition....and so on.

11. StormBringer

Windows Power management does a pretty good job of that.

I don't think a third party utility is going to fix the problem but it might be something you'd want to use to monitor the UPS once you get it working.

I found something at Cnet called System Power 2.0, you might want to look at, I also got quite a few other hits at download.com for the search string "power management"

12. xenohawk

BACK Again !!!

The unit has come back from the PK Electronics Service Center and the problem is STILL there......now i'm really bug.

Tested the unit with a multimeter already and the rating was on the correct side. So I guess that leave out the UPS imo. Is there something to do with the mobo or the Windows XP Pro or something else?

Just as the last time, the UPS did work in safe mode. hmm...

Thanks for and future reply.

13. geekasaurus

geekasaurus TS Rookie

I have the same issue and I'll share the symptoms and cause with you. However I do not have a solution as of yet.

I have a belkin 1200 ups. working great since I purchased 7 months ago. Works great as far as the hardware side of it is concerned still. even though if I now enable the ups it immediatly shuts down after it loads windows. How do I know because the pc will run on the ups for over an hour when the communication channel is broken.

What caused this. One of these 2 microsoft patches
    Q815021 or 811493.

Rolling back using the restore point feature does no good.

Hmmmm

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.