TechSpot

*URGENT* "CD drive not ready" messege appears when trying to access CD

By rjsmith
Mar 20, 2005
  1. Hi, I am trying to fix this computer for my uncle. Every time I try to access the CD rom drive an error messege comes up. I do not know what the problem is. If anyone else has found this problem and fixed, or knows how please let me know.

Error messege: CD rom drive not ready

Sys specs

Win 98

Toshiba CD-Rom Drive model no. xm-6202b, if that helps anything.

I need to fix this problem before the first of April. :hotbounce

2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

If the computer correctly detects the CD-ROM drive when booting, its probably not that there is a loose cable connection, but check that anyway.

You probably have a dead CD-ROM drive. They are INCREDIBLY cheap now. Buy another one and replace it.

3. rjsmith

rjsmith TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well I have got two of the same type of CD rom drive. One out of my uncles old computer, it worked before I stripped his, the other was the one in the computer that I am going to fix up for him.

Neither worked. I thought there may be a problem with a driver or something.
    In the Device manager, when I click on the CDROM properties there is not much information, just CD rom drive, and the driver used for it is a generic one used in the win98 os.

I don't know what the problem is. That is why I am here asking questions.

:wave: Nice discussion about different kinds of bytes and such phantasm66 (gummibyte and such, hehehe). I was reading it last night.

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Have you tried a new cable in the machine? The IDE cable might be faulty.

5. rjsmith

rjsmith TS Rookie Topic Starter

No I have not, and it gets annoying. I have to unplug this computer and hook up the other one. Egad! :rolleyes: I will try it though. I just want to get this fixed. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.