*urgent* corrupt file/folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atwooooood

i ran a registry cleaner and backed up my registry before i did, scanned the registry, and it said it was a free trial so it couldnt delete everything, only some, so for some reason i did it.

i reboot, and now im gettin error messages and when i go to start/all programs, over half of the folders are missing. the programs still work from the desktop shortcuts, but all the foldoers are missing.i tried to go to system restore and restore from both the restore point i just made and a few others from a few days ago and it says my C: drive has errors and i need to scan it, and when i try to scan it, it says it cant scan the drive while its in use.

i also tried to install a program to see what would happen and i get an error message saying Setup was unable to create the directory "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Programs\RegistryBooster2". Error 1392: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
im normally not that ignorant.
stupid mistake.

(attached is a screen shot of what happens when i try and install a program)

it says it cant scan the drive while its in use
This message is usually followed by "do you want to perform a scan on next restart" Usually answering Yes, and then restarting

As for Restore, after the checkdisk above, has been completed, does Restore work ? Even go back a month if you need to.

yea it asks if i wanted to perform the scan on next restart and i checked that, and i rebooted it several times and it didnt seem to do anything.

the restore isnt working because it says my C: drive has errors and it wont scan it. thats where im having the problem.

Try doing the checkdisk from safe mode (F8) at Windows startup

Worse case is Checkdisk from Windows boot CD (R prompt)
chkdsk C: /r

Complete the checkdisk, Restore Windows, Post back, Good luck :)

so i rebooted in safe mode, attempted to chkdsk, and command prompt came up, it would start to do something for about 6 or 7 seconds, and then command prompt would shut down.

i really dont know whats going on with all this, and im beating myself up about it now cause i cant restore it. =/

gahh so confused.

How to perform CheckDisk in Windows

Open My Computer
Right Click on C drive
Properties
Tools
Check Now
Tick just the top box
Start Yes Ok

Restart wait for Checkdisk to complete

Back to Safe Mode you go !

ive tried that and its not working. i attached another image for you to see. it says the disk is busy and when asked if i want it to perform the check after my next reboot and i say yes, and reboot, it does not do anything.

Thank-you for the image (it just made the 100K limit too)

Anyway, the last option about running CHKDSK from the Windows CD
This may be the best option
Go to the R (Repair) command, select 1 to log into Administrator
Then run the line chkdsk C: /r
or chkdsk /? for more options

im actually running vista, and i had to search my house high and low to find the disk. i think i found the right one, im hoping. im just backking up a few things right now, luckily all my music and stuff is on an external hard drive, so when i reinstall windows, all ill have to do is reinstall my programs.

when i do this, ill get back with you.

thank you very much for your prompt replies.

so i reinstalled windows and am glad to say its a whole lot better than it was before. this is a prebuilt laptop that came with bundled software, and after the fresh install, it has none of that stuff on here. just had to install a few drivers for the touchpad and webcam. everythings workin out great now, ill know never to use that program again. thanks for all the help, i appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back