Urgent Hard Drive/MoBo/OS Something Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 1 to 2 months ago i bought a new harddrive (http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=133)
and i installed it with everything working successful. last week I noticed a huge bog down on my speed while doing everything from boot-up, playing games, to just browsing the web.... Finally last night i got the dreaded BLUE SCREEN!, This one was a "Machine Exception Error" blah blah "windows has shut down to prevent damaging hardware, if this is ur first time please go into windows bios and turn of Cache Shadowing, something something," gives me a big terminal error at the bottom (00000x01) or something and then it reboots, this all happens in a matter of 5 seconds so i dont really have enough time to read it all.

Specs:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3800+
Motherboard Name DFI nF4 Series
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce4, AMD Hammer
System Memory 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT (256 MB)
(Old HD Set as Slave)Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y120P0 (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
(New HD)WDC 250 16mbcache SATA

Edit: I am in the debugging process jumping between my friends and such, and I have installed windows on both of my HD's and noticed that they seem to be bootable on my friends computer but not on mine, so i am thinking about it, and maybe it is NOT my HD, but I have no idea what it could be, or who I should call for support? my mobo disb, or my HD disb(s), any help is great

Thanks,

~Catt

check the cpu see if getting hot
check in bios disable video shadowing
this can be a video card problem or video driver issue
last but not least bad memory something is overheating
open machine up see how long it works getting more air
if you can check event viewer

Update

Update---

Well i literally took my pc apart and tested my HD's at my friends, ran Memtest86 for my memory, ran HD scans.... so far my memory isn't bad, my HD's work at my friends house fine, I looked for blow capacitors, nothing there (or buldging ones) finally I smelled my processor chip/heat sink and it smelled like burning... I took it out and the chip was literally melted onto my heatsink (i put on the paste/silicon base whatever that stuff is) and I'm pretty sure its just busted. Any ideas? I have a 3 year warrenty on it, but does that mean my Motherboard is crap to since i took out the chip or just replace my processor? Thanks

~Catt

wow, are you sure the CPU is melted and not the HSF bracket? If the CPU is that badly damaged you would not get any POST at all. If the CPU came free of the socket without alot of force then you're probably ok on the mobo side. But if the CPU is badly melted then there's a problem with the mobo in the first place. The mobo should have sensed the over temp and clocked down the CPU.

I recommend you take the PC into a tech shop and have them look at it.

Well, you take off the little hinge thingy thats holding down the heatsink, and i just lifted it up to check my CPU, and the chip is melted to the bottom of the heatsink, i was thinking either A) its melted to it because of overheating or B) the paste w/e silicon base stuff just ad-heared it to the bottom... but then i have the problem if it is fine, getting it back in? the little lever is underneath and with the big bulky heatsink stuck to the chip how do you say i put it back in o.0 or just call AMD and tell them that i need to use my warrenty? thanks

Oh, so it's just that the thermal paste has the CPU stuck to the HSF. So the CPU came out of the 939 socket without lifting the lever when you tried to pull off the HSF? Or you just left them in place when you saw the HSF was stuck to the CPU? Hopefully the later.

Use a very thin blade knife and gently, very gently move it around the edges of the HSF/CPU interface as much as you can. Now gently turn the knife so it prys the HSF free of the CPU.

If the CPU is still in the socket you can try to turn on the PC and enter the BIOS. Scroll to PC health and monitor the CPU temp. When the temp is at normal (35-40C) for several minutes turn off the PC and immediately remove the HSF clips and see if it will pull free from the CPU now that it is nice and warm.

I do the gentle twist thing don't like to poke sharp objects at chips
keep light pressure and twist the chip
would have been easyer if left in socket
if remove from socket with out lifting lever thats a bad sign too
hope the socket did not get damaged that clamp or lever realy holds the chip down tight check for broken pins left in socket
somethings deff wrong as stated should not have gotten to this point
or maybe you used the heat pad that they tell you you need for warrenty
these will glue themselves to the processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back