Urgent- Help Me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAVISPHYLLIS

Computer Problems After Power Failure

I have a Dell Dimension Desktop. The other day our power suddenly went off and when the power came back on my computer would not work. A Blue Screen appears when Windows is trying to open and states, “Unmountable_Boot_Volume,” I have tried to load Windows in Safe Mode and everything- nothing works. So, I downloaded startup disks from Microsoft so I could repair windows, but once I get to the screen in Setup after hitting “r” it states, “Did not find hard disk drives installed.” Does anyone know how I might fix this???

THANK YOU!

Your hard drive has been corrupted by the power failure... or a more serious hardware failure has happened. Try installing another hard drive and see if you can get past the "no disk found" error

how much is a new hard drive? what do i do if this doesn't work?

Would setting up my bios and trying to startup from a cd work or do I need to take the "drastic" measure of getting a new hard drive?

Quite often power surges that interrupt computers will affect the bios.

Before doing anything else, power off, pull the plug, press the case-front power button again, then open the side panel and pull the bios battery (or use the cmos reset jumper if you know where it is).

Let sit for 5 minutes.

Replace the battery (put the jumper back), plug in the cable, plug into the wall and boot.

See if that works FIRST!

:)

I just fixed a PC zapped by power failure with the same bsod.

Basically I had to re-format the PC and just do a clean install of Windows XP. I also couldn't get through a repair on that PC. You may have to provide drivers for your HD through a floppy drive so it can detect the HD.

If other suggestions don't work, try a clean install. But be advised, you will lose ALL of your data.

DAVISPHYLLIS,
please change the title of this thread to something like "Computer Problems After Power Failure"... "Urgent-Help Me!!! is not proper for this Forum

Are you experienced enough to handle this yourself? If not, consult a repair center. This will save you a lot of headaches and trouble

It's not showing being changed... Do you have the experience to do the things suggested to help you regain a working computer?

TMAGIC- Yes, with some guidance I do believe that I could "regain a working computer". I thought the purpose of a forum like this was to give other suggestions about how to fix their computer problems, not just to tell them to take it to a shop. I don't think I'm in the wrong for wanting to try to correct my computer on my own. If I am unsuccessful, then yes I will bring my computer to a pro...

The reason your install can't see your hard drive is 'probably' because of the type of drive it is, ie, Sata hooked up to a Sata port rather than the older conventional IDE (Pata) drives.

Can you provide model of Dell and any info on what you got in it when you bought it (usually on the bill of lading).

:)

DAVISPHYLLIS said:
TMAGIC- Yes, with some guidance I do believe that I could "regain a working computer". I thought the purpose of a forum like this was to give other suggestions about how to fix their computer problems, not just to tell them to take it to a shop. I don't think I'm in the wrong for wanting to try to correct my computer on my own. If I am unsuccessful, then yes I will bring my computer to a pro...

We ask posters to provide us with enough information so that we can provide help. Many of us here are proficient in building computers from scratch, and we can easily repair most systems quickly and efficiently. Thread titles like the one you provided here, scare me into thinking that you may not be computer litterate. Do you know how to reset the CMOS data? Change a hard drive? Do you know how to tell us the model number and serial number of your sick Dell computer?

A "no" to any of these questions may make it impossible to help you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back