Urgent help!: "Windows recovered from a serious problem"

asif299

Hi there,

I recently (a week ago) got a used DELL optiplex GX260 small mini-tower (the last one on this webpage: support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx260/en/ug/index.htm ) in exchange of my old, not functional Pentium-4 PC. I got the hard disk, ram and processor of the gx260 replaced with the ones I had in my previous PC. I am pretty sure that the hard disk and ram are fine because I have tested the hard disk several times (with western digital lifeguard software) and the ram has been working fine with my another PC before. I am not sure if theres some compatibility issue with processor though. The processor is Intel Pentium 4 2.66 GHz (512KB L2 cache). BIOS and "my computer" are detecting the processor and it is working.

Heres the events that have been happening with me over the last week

Since I bought the PC a week ago, it worked fine for the first 3-4 days. I did not put much of stress on it in the first 3 days although I switched it on for 4-5 hours daily on a stretch. On the 4h day, while I was working, my computer freezed completely and I had to manually restart it through the button. After that, it worked completely fine that day atleast after rebooting. I also watched a movie as well that day without hassle.

Next day, I switched it on again, after 5 seconds of windows startup, it restarted automatically :( . After rebooting, it again worked seemingly fine that day. I checked for any error logs but there were none. BTW... I had the error log feature ENABLED. Now, I disabled the "automatic restart on system failure option" so that I may get a BSOD next time rather than restart.

Today, I switched on the PC for around 5 hours in the afternoon without problem and I switched it off. About 3-4 hours later, when I switched it on again, I got the message at windows startup "Windows has recovered from a serious problem". This time, there was an error log .which is as follows:

Category: (102) Event ID: 1003

Error code 100000d1, parameter1 337b1a80, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 efe2ff9d.

It is working fine still in normal usage (internet surfing, video playing etc.) Just before posting here, I decided to create a report on everest (I used the option "quick report - overclock"). While the report was being created, my system began to slow down and eventually while everest was processing the cpu and ram part for info, I got a sudden BSOD . I restarted and it became fine again and this time again, error log was not created.

However, the BSOD said:
A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

The code was something like:
0x000000f4 (0x00000003, 0x82371b88, 0x82371cfc, 0x805fa7a8).

After restarting my PC, I again went to everest but this time I used the "Report wizard" to make a report of the hardware. Thankfully, it was able to succeed.

I am attaching the .dmp files.

Please, see to this issue urgently because I am in urgent need of a working PC. All my work has been halted. I will be really really thankful. I am clueless as to what is really wrong. Is it the motherboard, or something else??

Attachments

• Mini091310-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini091410-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 2
everest report (hardware)

Sorry, I forgot to attach the report from everest. Due to restraint on upload size, I have divided the report into 2.

"report.txt" is the first part and "report2.txt" is the 2nd part

Also, I am attaching the cpuid I got from everest

Attachments

• Report.txt
    195.9 KB · Views: 1
  • report 2.txt
    39.3 KB · Views: 1
  • cpuid.png
    cpuid.png
    176.2 KB · Views: 1
One of your dumps cited the driver cpfwtdi.sys as the cause of your issues. Here is the thing: There is absolutely nothing on the internet concerning this driver. This is a very rare occurance.

So, do a full system scan for viruses and malware.

Also, run harddrive diagnostics. There is a free utility from your HD manufacture on their website.

One of your dumps cited the driver cpfwtdi.sys as the cause of your issues. Here is the thing: There is absolutely nothing on the internet concerning this driver. This is a very rare occurance.

So, do a full system scan for viruses and malware.

Also, run harddrive diagnostics. There is a free utility from your HD manufacture on their website.

I have tested the hard disk several times with "Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostics" and it finds no errors whatsoever. Also, I have formatted the hard disk completely before re-installing the windows just recently. I immediately installed ESET smart security as soon as I re-installed windows. I did a smart scan as well and it did not find any malware.

Can this be some issue with processor not being compatible with the GX260 board? Is this processor higher for the capacity of this board?. Or is it the RAM not being compatible with the board?. Kindly, please have a look at the specs of RAM and processor in everest report and the motherboard specs on the dell website (support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx260/en/ug/smtabout.htm#1084976). and let me know if theres some compatibility issue

Moreover, I dont think is some heating issue as well. Unfortunately, the board does not has temperature sensors. But I myself opened the PC after using it for some while, and the heat sink of the processor was pretty cool. Voltage does not seem problem either because I am using the PC on a UPS and also the PSU is the one that comes built-in with this PC

BTW... thanks for replying

The PSU is the one that comes with this system from DELL (according to the person i got it from). I think it must be 5-6 years old. The PSU seems pretty neat and clean and the fan is running.

Sorry, i am not much experienced in checking it with a multimeter, Neither i have a multimeter with me.

Just one more thing to note. Recently I noticed that my monitor gives some static current in the vga cable which connects to the CPU, which produces static current in the CPU body as well. I think this is because there is no proper grounding at my place (as it is in most places in my country.) Anyhow, i solved that problem by manually grounding the cpu case and its no more causing that static shock.

Please let me know...is this some hardware issue or some drivers/software problem? As i told you, I replaced hard disk, ram and processor (2.66GHz-512KB cache) of the DELL GX260. Is there some compatibility issue here with the processor or ram?... The hard disk is tested and is fine and the ram also seems pretty fine because it was working and tested on my other PC.

Need more replies.... PLZ!!!

I have just ran the hard disk testing utility again and tested it for about an error and no errors were detected whatsoever.

Somebody, please check if the processor and ram mentioned in the reports attached are compatible with my PC. Is this a hardware or software issue???

The static electricity is a serious concern because, believe it or not, a single spark from our finger can fry a motherboard. Your RAM looks okay but 2 gigs would greatly help you and your system really needs to be upgraded to Service Pack 3.

Also, even if the power supply looks nice and clean and the fan is running doesn't mean it is putting out the power it needs to.

Who replaced these parts for you?

the parts were replaced by the person (the computer shop-owner) from whom i bought the computer. He didnt check compatibility while replacing the parts though :( so there might be compatibility issues with them. Thats is what i need help in. PLZ if you could check the hardware specs and check if theres any compatibility problem.

Another point, I used the system for 4-5 hours continuously yesterday and also 4-5 hours on the day before and it did not crash. The crashes are pretty infrequent and very random uptill now. However, yesterday again I opened everest ulimate and started the "quick report". While it was processing benchmarks(processor, ram etc.), my mouse pointer got really sluggish and my computer almost froze. However, it returned to normal state again after processing finished. I did that twice or thrice yesterday and everytime that hapenned. Thankfully it did not give me BSOD yesterday while processing. Last time when I used this utility (2 days ago), I got a BSOD which I mentioned in my last first post in this thread

BTW about that static charge thing, after manually grounding the system, I checked the system with an electric tester for any static charge in the casing of the pc and it showed no signs of charge anymore. So, I think that is not an issue.

The slow down that you mentioned may be due to the fact that the Everest Ultimate is taxing your system resources.

How much RAM do you have installed? How much space does your harddrive have remaining free?

If the cpu is incompatible it is doubtful you could even boot up. My suspicion is still with the PSU but I could be wrong.

RAM is 512MB DDR, which in my opinion isnt bad for a pentium-4 computer. Hard-drive is almost empty. I got the hard-disk formatted recently.

Thanx for the help so far.... Btw, can it be some ram or bios problem?? the bios version is A03 but ive seen that the latest bios on dell website is A09. I think the bios is pretty old as well.

Well the RAM is needed for software applications and OS operation. XP runs best with 2 gigs thus it isn't the hardware we're concerned with (unless the memory is corrupted) but the ability for the system to run software optimately. That is why I believe you saw such a slow down with the Everest application. newer software is more demanding as well. My suggestion is to upgrade to two full gigs of RAM.

A BIOS update has certainly helped many people but if you've never done it before be very careful. One thing you certainly don't want is the power to fail as you update and make sure the BIOS update is the correct one for your motherboard, otherwise you'll have some serious issues.

keyboard problem as well occuring

Thanx again :)

One more thing I did not mention which is happening alongside:

Since I got this PC (around 8-9 days) , there have been atleast 3-4 ocassions when the computer did not detect the keyboard (not even the bios detects it - get keyboard error at boot-up). I had to shutdown the PC and boot up again, then it will work fine.

Just now, when I powered on the PC, I again had the same problem of keyboard not being detected. Once again, I did rebooted the PC to write this reply. Is this somewhat related to the other issues I have been facing so far Also, I got the same message on bootup again "windows has recovered from a serious error", when the first time I booted my PC today (the time when keyboard was not detected).

Here is the event log created. This one is different from the one I got before (mentioned in my first post).

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 9/16/2010
Time: 9:51:50 PM
User: N/A
Computer: 12345-500E7595D
Description:
Error code 000000f4, parameter1 00000003, parameter2 82371b88, parameter3 82371cfc, parameter4 805fa7a8.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 66 000000f
0020: 34 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d 4 Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 30 30 eters 00
0030: 30 30 30 30 30 33 2c 20 000003,
0038: 38 32 33 37 31 62 38 38 82371b88
0040: 2c 20 38 32 33 37 31 63 , 82371c
0048: 66 63 2c 20 38 30 35 66 fc, 805f
0050: 61 37 61 38 a7a8

BTW... there seems to be no problem with the keyboard itself

What do you why this is because??? I am still thinking it of motherboard related issue

Back