US Army suicide rate hits 26-year high in 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravisunny2

More than one out of four soldiers who committed suicide did so while serving in Iraq or Afghanistan, according to a report scheduled to be released Thursday. Iraq was the most common deployment location for US soldiers who either attempted suicide or committed suicide.

It also found a significant relationship between suicide attempts and the number of days deployed in Iraq, Afghanistan or nearby countries where troops were participating in the war effort.

About twice as many women serving in the wars committed suicide as did women not sent to war, the report said.

http://content.msn.co.in/News/International/InternationalAP_160807_2022.htm

I don't know about some people, but I am not at all surprised about higher suicide rates in the army, it simply stands to reason. It is not normal to kill a human being, so why shouldn't those who have be effected on one level or another.
Cheers
Hynesy

I'm not surprised either, my teach during summer school was in Vietnam and he told us about it, he said he remembers seeing his friend getting blown to a wall and lost his foot by a grenade...

Ouch, I can't imagine anything worse then preparing for war, not knowing for sure if you will come back in one piece is at all. I would only join the army to defend my country, I would not join the army to be shipped to iraq or iran.

your point?

Combat stress and dear Johnny/Jane letters can be a real mother....

Most of these guys are grunts....

To Hynesy: We are defending our country there, so we don't have to defend it at home.

Want to help a servicemember? Encourage others to enlist.

Lemmesee here now.

The majority leader of the senate, most of the democrats in both houses are claiming defeat, trying to work out the terms of surrender, and y'all think that isn't depressing to the troops?

You want to help the troops, call your congress critter and tell it that The military is not losing, but congress is.

I have 2 questions for yall vets

1. How long will the US troops will be staying in Iraq? even after the 08 election?

2. Was the Iraq invasion worst it even with all the misleading WMD-no Al-Qaeda link with Saddam info? please explain why.

Well, part one:
We still have troops all over Western Europe, left overs from WWII.
We still have troops in a rather large percentage of Asian countries, left over from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, etc.

Part Two.

The fact that the US media outlets do not report WMDs does not mean that they did not exist, nor were ever found.
Sadam used WMDs on various occasions during his conflicts with Iran, and supression of the Kurdish population in the North.
Hundreds of artillery shells containing assorted gasses were found and destroyed, but NOT REPORTED by the US media. They were however, reported on by European news agencies.

One of the really good things about the internet is the access to information that some people would prefer the masses never find out about. ie: an ignorant population is much easier to control and lead around by the nose.

Now, do you really believe anything that Murtha, Kerry, Durbin, or anybody else that has accused the members on the military of rape, murder, etc in Iraq ?

CrustyOldGeezer said:
Now, do you really believe anything that Murtha, Kerry, Durbin, or anybody else that has accused the members on the military of rape, murder, etc in Iraq ?

well heres a few I remember seeing it on the News.

U.S soldiers taking turn raping a 14 year old Iraqi girl than killing her and her whole family. They got their sentence
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Hearing...ing_14_year_old_Iraqi_girl_before_killing_her

U.s Soldiers being charge for killing unarmed civilian in Iraq
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18157949/

As for the gas that killed the kurd.. my question is who provided Saddam those weapons? and why did Saddam need to kill those kurds? didn't he has his reason? was it bad or for the good in the end and please explain why?

Tedster, I was talking from an Australian point of view not an American, but your point still remains valid.

sigh....

It's a political fact that some people believe everything the US media shoves down their throat.

This board is not the place for this kind of garbage.

Anyone who believes what the media says without suspicion whether they are a doctor, lawyer or garbage truck driver are not intelligent. My brother is a professional sports player here in Australia, and jsut what the papers right about sport is so far off bas that it is ridiculous. Yet alone war and political news that the government has an interest to change.
cheers
Hynesy :wave:

Closed. Should have been deleted when it was posted, 95% of you know that these threads never end well around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back