TechSpot

US was given a heads up over destruction of NSA-related hard drives at The Guardian

1. US intelligence officials had prior knowledge of British intelligence's efforts to destroy hard drives containing leaked information from the National Security Agency, according to redacted emails and other documents obtained by the Associated Press from the NSA under the Freedom...

Read more

misor likes this.
  2. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

I don't really understand how spies work.if snowden leaked classified documents, why did he encrypt it before 'releasing it to the public'? or did I miss something as to the chain of custody of the said documents?

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,475   +2,033

Me too. I'll tell you what, why don't you get a job in espionage, disregard your sworn oaths and allegiances then let us all know how all this cloak and dagger stuff works. You'll be a hero (to us at least).:)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    Nima304 likes this.
  4. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,536   +2,332

It's high-value sensitive information. While the man is technically a traitor, I'm dubious over the notion that he wishes to cause harm to U.S. interests. Concerning the nature of the information he stole, he neither 1) wants to jeopardize his "get out of jail indefinitely" card or 2) have naked information fall into the wrong hands.

It's similar to any other safety measure: Why would a trained marksman engage the safety on a gun? To prevent it accidentally going off.

5. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

so basically, I already flunked spy 101? :)
    (I did not see it that way but thanks for the info)

6. He chose to honour his oath to uphold the constitution. An oath that says to protect it against all enemies, foreign AND domestic.. a document which our entire government is based upon.